#85 | Becca Boerger | Categories of Sources

There are, indeed, several proposed amendments which have very similar themes to this one: #14, #229, #486, #14, #206, #460, #66, #290, #277, #147, #61 all wish to add some key sources/inspirations while retaining at least some of the new language.

It’s hard to believe that a single author could alone write the perfect amendment, so I agree completely that we need some kind of iterative process. Many of these suggestions have ideas that strengthen each other, so if amendments with similar goals and wordings can converge and take inspiration from each other, then we will end up with better amendments and fewer amendments with overlap.

As a scientist myself (I visited your church once before while working at Jefferson Lab in NN), the world’s religions are very important to my understanding of spirituality, and at the same time, I would say that my job as a physicist is to investigate the mind of God. Newton, Pythagoras and those other old white dudes were natural philosophers and would have nothing to say about the secular understanding of the “scientific process” – an enlightenment age idea.

Even if we UUs today don’t want to be influenced by Christianity and mainstream religion, we cannot escape the historical fact that UUism and UUs have been inspired by specific religious traditions. Look at our hymnal: most of the gray hymnal is Christian hymns with different words. It seems audacious to sing Christian melodies and end services with “amen, namaste, blessed be” while also claiming that Christianity and the world’s religions haven’t influenced UUism or UUs.

1 Like