Amendment 53 to Article II - Proposed by Rebecca Boerger

Bold underlining indicate insertion ; [brackets indicate deletion.]

44 Section C-2.3. Inspirations.
45 As Unitarian Universalists, we [use, and] are inspired by[, sacred and secular understandings
46 that help us to live into our values.] the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, including indigenous knowledge, by humanist teachings that challenge us to create a better world for all, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which
47 [they were] the wisdom we draw upon was created and [are] is currently practiced. [These sources ground us and sustain us in
48 ordinary, difficult, and joyous times.] Grateful for the religious and cultural ancestries we inherit and the
49 diversity which enriches our [faith] community, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

4 Likes

I like that this is more concise than other proposed Inspirations. I especially like the word community in the last sentence.

1 Like

The following in support of the above submitted amendment and possible friendly amendment 60.

As Unitarian Universalists, we [use, and] are inspired by, [sacred and secular understandings that help us to live into our values.] the world’s religions, and wisdom traditions, by indigenous knowledge, by humanist teachings, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit . We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which they were created and are currently practiced. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the religious ancestries we inherit and the diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

Amendment without editorial marks:

As Unitarian Universalists, we are inspired by the world’s religions, and wisdom traditions, by indigenous knowledge, by humanist teachings, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which they were created and are currently practiced. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the religious ancestries we inherit and the diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

General Reasons for Amendment:

After consideration of the many submissions that asked for more reference to sources, I see the (suggestion 85) now amendment 53 as achieving the balance of naming sources without losing the continuity of Inspirations as part of the overall revised six values and Article II tapestry.

My only change to what Becca finally submitted was to include humanist teachings and not the phrase " that challenge us to create a better world for all." I would keep that phrase if the description of named inspirations was not already long and if it was clear that humanist teachings are not the only source that challenges us to create a better world.

Other than that change this submission is moslty hers. I am reminded that submissions should be distinctly different, but I am adding mine to emphasize the need to name the inspiration and not leave it just to the binary of what is sacred and what is secular. It is my hope that by providing the backgound and reasoning for this amendment that my fellow delegates would consider voting for it.

In the final review, I agree with suggestion #85’s author, that the focus of an amendment should be on the inclusion of named inspirations (sentence 1 and 2). I came to the conclusion, as much as I worked at it, the Study Commissions text contained the tone and completeness of the relationship I have to inspiration as a member of a UUA member association. The last three sentences remain unchanged. Amendment 53 does change a few of the words of the last 3 sentences of the proposed revision to article II Inspirations. Amendment 60 does not.

Specific Reasons for Amendment:

strike “use, and”: the list of inspirations that follow “we are inspired” are not always in use or ours to use. It is enough to state we are inspired. “use, and” could be left in as well but being frugal with the number of words is a further reason to let of “use, and”.

strike: ", sacred and secular understandings… . Secular is kept and sacred is described in the suggested amendment named inspirations that follow: “the world’s religions, and wisdom traditions, by indigenous knowledge, by humanist teachings, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery” I think it does the work of naming inspirations comprehensively, evenly, and without losing the continuity of the original Inspiration text.

strike: “…that help us to live into our values.” Inspirations can serve many purposes including helping UUs live their values. Help is described in a sentence that follows - retained from the SC revision “These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times.” Help described, the phrase “that help…” may not be needed. Further the balance of Article II contains the statement “live our values.”

Process used to reach recommending this amendment:

For the Study Commission revised Article II inspirations. I reviewed 13 amendment requests for keeping most or all of the sources (most were short requests to restore the 6 sources). I reviewed about as many for changing the draft of Inspirations offered by the Study Commission, but not for the return of a statement for each source.

What I saw most common was the request to include “direct experience” “mystery and wonder” I appreciate suggestion #364 Karen Zindell’s brevity and content and particularly like the phrase “prophetic words and deeds”, though I defer to the SC structure.
Suggestion #277 Meta Thayer came up with a flowing way to include “earth-centered traditions and humanist teachings”

I followed suggestion #85 Becca Boerger most closely as her exploration and coalition was very comprehensive and closest overall what I was looking for in Inspirations-
The amendment 60 I submitted makes a minor change to Becca’s amendment and continue to review all Inspirations submitted amendments.

I have been in communication with the other 4 delegates from UU Church of Davis and with our Reverend. Consideration of this amendment comes after thorough review of the potential amendment submissions, extensive, if condensed, review of the Study Commissions work and dialogue with my fellow delegates, many who have been at this longer than I have.

1 Like

Delegates who have voiced support for this amendment

Name
Delegate Status
Congregation
City, State
Becca Boerger
Delegate/Sponsor
UU Congregation of Binghamton
Binghamton, NY
Scott Steward
Delegate
UU Church of Davis
Davis CA
Denise Frizzell
Delegate
Eno River UU Fellowship
Durham, NC
Kerrie Schurr
Delegate
Westside UU Congregation
Seattle, WA

Note to any authors/proponents of any amendments that did not pass or were not prioritized. I have heard that this site will be locked on Tuesday. Our public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, created for discussing Article II and GA, will remain open for commenting a couple weeks longer (and still be visible for viewing as a public record afterwards).
Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook

Anyone who wishes to use the Blue Boat Passengers group for finding each other and coordinating to do the 15-congregation amendment process may do so while the group remains open (must follow group rules).

Here are some comments about the 15-congregation amendment process, from Donald Wilson, who used to be on the GA Planning Committee:

"“Unlike how the amendment process was run for this GA (ie at the discretion of the moderators and board), the process you’ve mentioned is bylaw and subject to little to no interpretation. I wouldn’t wait however. You need to get the petition from the UUA Board Secretary in the next couple weeks, and you have to have it turned Into the Board before February 1st.”

“You don’t even have to have a congregational vote. You just have to get their board to sign off.” ETA: You must check this–rules vary by congregation. Also, look for the UU Governance Lab group on Facebook to connect with Donald Wilson directly.

Also, a comment from another member who was participating on Discuss:
“Some of us are connecting on Slack, mainly to remain in contact with others interested in specific amendments or the amendment process in general at GA 2024.”

https://join.slack.com/…/zt-1y0pvelub-YVxUFoPpTrZ…