#81 | Margie Storch | Not All Histories

Submission 81
Margie Storch
Unitarian Universalist Community of Charlotte (Charlotte, NC) 6625

What is your suggestion or idea?

Current: Section C-2.3. Inspirations.
As Unitarian Universalists, we use, and are inspired by, sacred and secular understandings that help us to live into our values. We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which they were created and are currently practiced.These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the religious ancestries we inherit and the diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

Suggestion: Section C-2.3. Inspirations.
As Unitarian Universalists, we use, and are inspired by sacred and secular wisdom that help us live into our values. Learning about the religious histories we inherit is key to our understanding today. We draw hope, courage and inspiration from all sources that lead us to peaceful, Beloved Community built on the foundation of Love.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

“We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which they were created and are currently practiced.” No, I do NOT respect the past or present practice of slavery, racism, misogyny, burning at the stake, questionable religious practices, etc. etc. We LEARN FROM our histories and do better going forward! We can demonstrate respect for every person (even if we don’t feel love) by living our values – an ongoing challenge!

I agree listing specific UU sources is problematic as sources for wisdom are always expanding. I like the idea of drawing ““hope, courage and inspiration from all sources that lead us to peaceful, (don’t we need to include peace somewhere?) Beloved Community (our ultimate goal?) built on the foundation of Love.”” (or delete these last six words – already stated previously in the Values section.)

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, the Religious Humanists affinity group of UUCC discussed the Article 2 proposals in 2 meetings (March & April 2023). Strong support for changes to the first paragraph! A few persons liked the idea of stating the original sources plus adding a few more: Islam, Egyptian Atenism, Science, etc. Each of the UUCC members were encouraged to submit their ideas individually (as I am) as getting 100% agreement is like herding cats!

1 Like

I like the awareness you bring here, that not all of our history is positive. And I wonder how we could add to your statement, with an awareness of the risk of cultural appropriation, and perhaps other issues with misunderstanding different types of religions and practices.

Agreed. This exact point came up during one of our Article II discussion circles. And, as I recall, those of us attending all agreed that one would need to distinguish between “respecting” histories and learning from them. Thank you for taking the time to turn this into a concrete proposal.

Interesting point and great question. Maybe you could formulate a proposal? I like to think that other aspects such as “humility and reverence,” “responsible search,” and “covenant to dismantle racism and all forms of systemic oppression” would suffice to address specific instances of potential cultural appropriation. But maybe not?