#213 | Margie Storch | Not All Histories

Submission 213
Margie Storch
Unitarian Universalist Community of Charlotte (Charlotte, NC) 6625

What is your suggestion or idea?

Current: Justice. We work to be diverse multicultural Beloved Communities where all thrive. We covenant to dismantle racism and all forms of systemic oppression. We support the use of inclusive democratic processes to make decisions.
Suggestion: Justice. We work to be welcoming communities where all can thrive. We covenant to dismantle racism and all forms of systemic oppression. We support the use of inclusive democratic processes to make decisions.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

I moved ““Beloved Communities”” to Section C-2.3 Inspirations because, to me, it is a better fit there as the end goal of ALL of our values. I thought ““Beloved Communities”” is more inclusive than just one value ““Justice””. ““Diverse multicultural”” are words already addressed in the Pluralism section. Let’s try not to be repetitive.

I think if we work to be truly welcoming, then we will become more diverse. Diversity is a good goal but creating a welcoming environment must come first or it becomes an empty quota system or virtue signaling. I substituted ““can thrive”” for ““thrive”” as every individual must choose to embrace opportunities and support offered.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, the Religious Humanists affinity group of UUCC discussed the Article 2 proposals in 2 meetings (March & April 2023). Responses were generally supportive but someone pointed out ““Beloved Communities”” is placed within ““Justice”” in other civil rights writings. Each of the UUCC members were encouraged to submit their ideas individually (as I am) as getting 100% agreement is like herding cats!

The title/topic doesn’t match the suggestion