#214 | Margie Storch | Transformation, Not Share Values

Submission 214
Margie Storch
Unitarian Universalist Community of Charlotte (Charlotte, NC) 6625

What is your suggestion or idea?

Current: Transformation. We adapt to the changing world. We covenant to collectively transform and grow spiritually and ethically. Openness to change is fundamental to our Unitarian and Universalist heritages, never complete and never perfect.Suggestion: Transformation. Our understanding evolves as the world changes – informed by direct experience, reason and science. We covenant to collectively evolve to grow spiritually and ethically. Openness to change is fundamental to our Unitarian and Universalist heritages.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

“We adapt to the changing world” makes me think of all of us putting on oxygen masks as we venture outside to an increasingly polluted atmosphere. Adapting is not always the best option. Sometimes we must resist a changing world (climate chaos, facism, etc.) as our understanding evolves. Humanists, I think, want reason and science to inform our growth as well as direct (or lived?) experience.“…never complete and never perfect” – does that phrase refer to Openness, change, or our UU heritage (a bit confusing). I moved “never complete and never perfect” to Section C-2.5 Freedom of Belief as “We pursue a free and responsible search for truth and meaning which are never complete, never perfect.”

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, the Religious Humanists affinity group of UUCC discussed the Article 2 proposals in 2 meetings (March & April 2023). UUCC Humanists feel STRONGLY that reason and science need to be included in Article 2. I feel it makes sense to state that reason and science influences our understanding/transformation along with direct experience. Each of the UUCC members were encouraged to submit their ideas individually (as I am) as getting 100% agreement is like herding cats!

3 Likes

Yes. Reason and science distinguish us from spiritual communities that incorporate dogma, pseudoscience, and magical thinking.

1 Like