#83 | Margie Storch | Change "Belief" to "Search for Truth"

Submission 83
Margie Storch
Unitarian Universalist Community of Charlotte (Charlotte, NC) 6625

What is your suggestion or idea?

Current: Section C-2.5. Freedom of belief.
Congregational freedom and the individual’s right of conscience are central to our Unitarian Universalist heritage. Congregations may establish statements of purpose, covenants, and bonds of union so long as they do not require that members adhere to a particular creed.

Suggestion: Section C-2.5. Free Search for Truth.
Congregational freedom and the individual’s right of conscience and spiritual conviction are central to our Unitarian Universalist heritage. We pursue a free and responsible search for truth and meaning which are never complete, never perfect. Congregations may establish statements of purpose, covenants, and bonds of union so long as they do not require that members adhere to a particular creed.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

In trying to be sensitive to Atheists’ concerns, I changed Freedom of Belief to Free Search for Truth. One’s truth can be a proven scientific theory or a spiritually held conviction derived from direct experience.

It makes sense to me to include ““We pursue a free and responsible search for truth and meaning which are never complete, never perfect”” in this section instead of in Section C-2.2.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, the Religious Humanists affinity group of UUCC discussed the Article 2 proposals in 2 meetings (March & April 2023). Atheists in attendance do not like the word ““Belief””! Each of the UUCC members were encouraged to submit their ideas individually (as I am) as getting 100% agreement is like herding cats!

Whew! Thanks to all who contributed to this process.

3 Likes