#80 | Margie Storch | Replace "attention and money" with "resources"

Submission 80
Margie Storch
Unitarian Universalist Community of Charlotte (Charlotte, NC) 6625

What is your suggestion or idea?

Current: Equity. We declare that every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and worthiness. We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully accessible and inclusive communities.

Suggestion: Equity. Every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and worthiness. We covenant to use our time, wisdom, and resources to build and sustain fully accessible and inclusive communities.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

“We declare that” = unnecessary words?

I prefer “resources” to “attention, and money” as it is more inclusive of all we can contribute to create Equity. Many of us want to see a turn away from a money economy to a gift economy.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, the Religious Humanists affinity group of UUCC discussed the Article 2 proposals in 2 meetings (March & April 2023). No objections. Each of the UUCC members were encouraged to submit their ideas individually (as I am) as getting 100% agreement is like herding cats!

3 Likes

In the fall feedback sessions, lots of UUs seemed opposed to the “money” reference, and I was surprised to see that it remained in the final text. I’m guessing that the Commission has a specific reason for why they won’t change that wording, which maybe the could share with us.

I like the word resources. When people have little money and see how it is being valued, I think they feel not valued…when they have many resources besides money. On the other hand, there are folks with money who could “put their money where their mouth is”.

I also think there are pros and cons to specifically mentioning “money”. It could be read as an explicit support of capitalism and the idea that capital can define worth or justice.

However, from a pragmatic view, we have to accept the reality of capitalism if we want to affect meaningful change from within such a system.

1 Like

I think that saying “money,” especially in a “covenanting” context, leaves out that classism is one of the marginalization issues we need to address. Not all people have money to offer, and this also may be true within congregations and fellowships. I prefer “resources.”

3 Likes