#79 | Margie Storch | Replace "Generosity" with "Gratitude"

Submission 79
Margie Storch
Unitarian Universalist Community of Charlotte (Charlotte, NC) 6625

What is your suggestion or idea?

Current: Generosity. We cultivate a spirit of gratitude and hope. We covenant to freely and compassionately share our faith, presence, and resources. Our generosity connects us to one another in relationships of interdependence and mutuality

Suggestion: Gratitude. We cultivate a spirit of appreciation and generosity. We covenant to freely and compassionately share our values, presence, and resources. Our mutual dependence connect us to one another in relationships of respectful reciprocity.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

I prefer using the value “Gratitude” to replace “Generosity.” Gratitude is a very important value in Native American and earth-based spirituality. Cultivating gratitude will lead to generosity. Everyone can exhibit gratitude, even when circumstances might preclude generosity. Life requires us to be both generous and receptive of generosity in respectful reciprocity. (“Generosity” may call to mind “charity” which can be problematic in terms of imbalanced power.)

Atheists generally prefer sharing “values” to sharing “faith”. “Interdependence” is already stated in previous language.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, the Religious Humanists affinity group of UUCC discussed the Article 2 proposals in 2 meetings (March & April 2023). Objections stated to repeated use of “faith.” Each of the UUCC members were encouraged to submit their ideas individually (as I am) as getting 100% agreement is like herding cats!

4 Likes

I like these suggested very much. I would suggest focusing on the aspect of generosity that is Generosity of Spirit. We need to give other people the benefit of the doubt and seek to truly understand their experience and thoughts. I would suggest:

Gratitude. We cultivate a spirit of appreciation and generosity. We covenant to freely and compassionately share our values, presence, and resources. We listen carefully to others experience and thoughts, and give people the benefit of the doubt, not rushing to negative judgement. Our mutual dependence connects us to one another in relationships of respectful reciprocity.

2 Likes