#220 | Peter T. Richardson | Efficiency of Language

Submission 220
Peter T. Richardson
First Universalist Church, Rockland, Maine

What is your suggestion or idea?

Substitute for entire C-2.2 & C-2.3. the following:

RESPONSIVE READING

Our Covenant

Love is the power that holds us together.

Accountable to one another, we affirm these values:

Interdependence. With humility and reverence, we acknowledge our place in the great
interdependent web of life, earth, universe, working to repair harmed and
damaged relationships.

We covenant to cherish earth and all beings with care and respect.

Pluralism. We celebrate our diversity in culture, philosophy, experience; embracing our
differences and commonalities with love, curiosity, and respect.

We covenant to learn from one another in a free and responsible search for truth and meaning.

Justice. We work to be diverse beloved communities where all thrive, with use of inclusive democratic processes to make decisions.

We covenant to dismantle racism and all forms of systemic oppression.

Transformation. We adapt to an always changing world, fundamental in our Unitarian and Universalist heritage, never complete and never perfect.

We covenant to ever open ourselves for growing spiritually and ethically.

Generosity. In gratitude and hope, we feel connected in relationships of mutuality.

We covenant freely and compassionately to share our faith, presence, and resources.

Equity. We declare that every person, having inherent dignity and worthiness, has the right to flourish.

We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully accessible and inclusive communities.

AFFIRMATION

Inspirations

Inspired by the many scriptures and traditions of our world, their history, stories, wisdom; we are grateful for our planetary inheritance.

In ordinary, difficult or joyous times, may we be grounded and sustained.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

Efficiency of language is key for the transmission of central religious values. Too many words dull the sensitivities and inspiration. I felt if our values could be made into a Responsive Reading for our worship, there was some hope for them for inspiring our movement into its future.
I have kept as close as possible to the Proposal.

Changes in meaning are detailed in my other submissions.
The above could likely be further adapted for a good flow of spoken words.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Not really. But I’m sure the subject will come up if the idea is taken up by others. I have shared the idea with 2 other ministers. One has replied enthusiastically.