Equity Calls Us to Listen, Understand, Respect, Respond – Stebbins (amendment to Article II, which will be placed on the final agenda)

Amendment:
41 Equity. We declare that every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and
42 worthiness.
43 We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully
44 accessible and inclusive communities. [INSERT: Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect, and respond to one another.]

Clean version:
41 Equity. We declare that every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and
42 worthiness.
43 We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully
44 accessible and inclusive communities. Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect, and respond to one another.

Rationale:
This Amendment brings Equity - an important Value containing language from the 1st Principle - into line with the structure of other Values which have three sentences; Equity currently contains only two.

A 3rd sentence parallel to other Values can give a fuller description of how “every person” can be supported to “flourish” (1st sentence) within “communities” (2nd sentence): “Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect, and respond to one another.”

Equity calls us to listen and understand – because how can we hope to treat every person equitably if we don’t know “what size ladder they need in order to see over the wall”?

Equity calls us to respect – because how can every person have the “right to flourish” if their dignity is not respected?

Equity calls us not to ignore the fact that a person “can’t see over the wall,” but rather to respond to them - we may or may not actually be able to respond in a way that meets their need, but we can try to respond compassionately.

Equity calls us to do all of these things within community. So there still may be instances in which we have to ask someone to leave. We are “called,” not “forced” to listen, understand, respect and respond.

I personally believe that the more people are listened to, understood, respected, and responded to, the less divisive the world will become.

“Equity calls us” to do what we can.

This Amendment meets the Commission’s Charge to honor “the historic roots of our liberal, progressive faith” and be “powerful and relevant” moving forward, by ensuring the Equity Value befits the importance of the 1st Principle. It also follows the Commission’s Charge to be “brief” and “inspirational, memorable, and poetic.”

2 Likes

After listening and trying to understand feedback from various Facebook groups, several UU ministers, a consultant for DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion), and voices from within my own Fellowship, I want to express my gratitude - and share additional reflections on the Stebbins Equity Amendment within the larger context of the Proposed Revision.

Oppression is a harmful way of treating both individual people and groups of people – a way of treating people that is sometimes so systemic that it can seem impossible to escape from – and sometimes even difficult for everyone involved to see. So how do we dismantle it, how do we build and sustain something different – and what does that “something different” look like? I don’t have the answers, but I am in a learning process.

Here’s my current perspective, using the language of our Principles, our Values, and the Equity Amendments under discussion:

I believe I am inherently worthy, AND that I have a right to flourish with dignity, love, and compassion. I believe you are too, and you do too. That’s why we are called to learn about our complex, interdependent, plural and transforming world – and to generouslylisten, understand, respect and respond.” Through this way of relating to one another, this compassion in human relations, we can work to dismantle racism and other systemic oppressions – and we can build and sustain equitable, accessible, inclusive, just, multicultural, and interdependent Beloved communities that may allow us all – every person – to flourish.

We are called to “listen, understand, respect and respond” at all levels - at the individual level, the community level, the congregational level, between congregations, and in association thru the UUA and our leadership – so this should be specified in Article II of our Bylaws!

These are the specific words that my Fellowship and I – and more than 15 other Congregations - believe should be considered, and that I strongly believe will support us in realizing the vision of the Proposed Revision: “Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect, and respond to one another.”

Please vote YES on the Stebbins Amendment if you agree.

If you have questions or concerns about the Amendment, please let me know! Let’s continue the conversation - so that Love can support the growth of our Living Tradition.

Thank you for listening.

I look forward to your replies.

1 Like

The Study Team’s response to why the word “worth” was replaced with "worthiness was that in the past monetary value was assigned to human beings.

I find this reason completely inconsistent with the word “equity” which was chosen as the value. Equity has all sorts of monetary implications. I have equity in my house. I have equity in my IRA.

2 Likes

SMyles,

First, just to clarify, the Stebbins Amendment only addresses adding a 3rd sentence to the Equity Value: “Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect, and respond to one another.”

In contrast, the Wheeler Amendment only addresses changing the wording in the 1st sentence of the Equity Value - including changing the word “worthiness” to “worthy”. For more details, see the Wheeler Amendment.

Then I have a question for you, Steve. I think I understand the basis for the point you make - that if someone argues that “worth” isn’t an appropriate word, it might suggest that “equity” is also not an appropriate word. But I’m not sure I understand what you think would address your concern. Do you want to help me understand that?

This touches on something that I think is missing from the proposed Article 2. I would like “Accountability” to be added as a separate central value, because without accountability you can’t have real love or anti-oppressive momentum. Adding “Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect and respond to one another” is really getting more into the domains of accountability and respect.

1 Like

Frances, I think I understand how “responding” would be part of an Accountability Value, and how it addresses something “missing” from the Proposed Revision.

I’ve also been wishing I had used more words to explain in more detail what I feel is “missing” from the Equity Value. If I had used more words, I might have come up with something like: “Every person is inherently worthy and has a right to flourish with dignity, love, and compassion. We covenant to listen, understand, respect and respond to one another in ways that prevent and address inequities. We use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully accessible and inclusive communities, advancing equity for all.”

1 Like

Based on a post on the WHEELER Amendment page, I want to clarify that the WHEELER and STEBBINS Amendments can stand alone or together. (And I personally am on record as believing that they work better together.) The WHEELER Amendment changes the 1st sentence, while the STEBBINS Amendment adds a 3rd sentence. Depending on how the vote goes, here are the 4 possible outcomes:

WHEELER only: We declare that every person is inherently worthy and has the right to flourish with dignity, love, and compassion. We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully accessible and inclusive communities.

STEBBINS only: We declare that every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and
worthiness. We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully accessible and inclusive communities. Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect, and respond to one another.

BOTH STEBBINS AND WHEELER: We declare that every person is inherently worthy and has the right to flourish with dignity, love, and compassion. We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully accessible and inclusive communities. Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect, and respond to one another.

NEITHER: We declare that every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and
worthiness. We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully accessible and inclusive communities.

2 Likes

“What about HATE speech?”

Before this UUA discussion website was opened on February 2, there was a lot of discussion about Amendments on Facebook ( GA 2024 A2 Amendments: Process, Procedures, Resources & Connections | Facebook ).

One concern that was raised there – and I hope adequately addressed both there and here below – was that folks don’t want to be forced to listen, understand, respect and respond to HATE speech.

The 2nd Principle is “Justice, equity and compassion in human relations.” I believe that listening, understanding, respecting, and responding is an IDEAL for how we act with compassion in human relations.

When someone inside or outside of our communities uses hate speech, it is important to remember our IDEAL from the current 6 sources - which is also echoed throughout the Proposed Revision: “Confront powers of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love.”

Remember, “Listen” does NOT mean forever/ad nauseum; “Understand” does NOT mean only from the speaker’s perspective; “Respect” does NOT mean agree with the speaker; and “Respond” does NOT mean do exactly what the speaker wants you to do.

In fact, by “listening, understanding, and respecting,” we may find we are able to “respond” in ways which “Confront powers of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love.”

Your thoughts?

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying this, Kara. I was wondering what might happen if both amendments passed. They are clearly not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

I share your concern about accountability. Accountability has been mentioned, repeatedly, in Article Two discussions, but it’s a theme that is usually brushed aside. In part, because many people aren’t sure if they’re accountable to anybody or anything. In part, because some folks want to emphasize “transformation” as a value. Indigenous people understand the problem but their traditional emphasis on accountability isn’t popular in a consumer culture that celebrates individualism and self-indulgence. Today’s people will be held accountable by “the seventh generation.” We can be good ancestors.

Who are the 7th generation?
Wow, I do not see “accountability” as being ‘brushed aside’ at all. i see it as a core of the current A2.

To free-associate a little, recently a worker at my house was proselytizing me. I commented to him that I was a lifelong atheist. He replied “well that’s pretty easy on you, because there is no judgment day for you.”

I replied, “on the contrary, Every day is judgment day for me.” I judge myself on meeting my core ethical commitments, every minute, every day.

Accountability receives little mention in the recent drafts of Article Two. It’s not identified as a core value. Instead, there’s emphasis on “transformation.” “Transformation” isn’t a value.

I’ve been diagnosed with cancer. My body is being “transformed.” However, I don’t look forward to the experience. Climate change “transforms” planet Earth. Again, it’s not something to celebrate. What’s needed is more emphasis on what Unitarian Universalists want to see in the world.

Early versions of Article Two gave some attention to accountability. BIPOC leaders worked for more emphasis on accountability. It’s unfortunate that the conversation didn’t develop.

The seventh generation concept is identified with “the Great Law of the Iroquois.” (Haudenosuanee people.) One source explains, “In every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.” Note the term “we” in this statement. It’s not a personal creed.

Indigenous people are often concerned about community needs. In thinking about the community, the ancestors are honored and concern is expressed for future generations.

The stewardship concept may come close to “accountability” for some Unitarian Universalists. Although stewardship isn’t mentioned in the new versions of Article Two. Little is said about our sources (ancestors) and little is said about the people who will inherit our institutions.

Atheists and agnostics can appreciate the message. The UUA exists because of what the old folks accomplished. All of us can be grateful for the good work (including stewardship) of previous generations. Future generations will hold today’s leaders accountable.

1 Like

“Responding” as a form of “Accountability."

I’ve been thinking about accountability in context of the Equity Value and the Proposed Revision as a whole.

In the second paragraph of Section C-2.2 Values and Covenant, it says “We are accountable to one another for doing the work of living our shared values through the spiritual discipline of Love.”

This can be read with an emphasis on “living our values through Love” - but it can also be read with an emphasis on being “accountable through Love.”

One of the ways we can Love is to “listen, understand, and respect.”

One of the ways we can be “accountable through Love” in the context of Equity is to “respond” – in ways that prevent and address inequities, so that our communities can advance equity for all.

1 Like

I have many of the same objections to this one as I do the one by Niell except I dislike the amendment line ‘Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect, and respond to one another’ even more. I’m in favor of Wheeler’s equity amendment but not this one. I strongly prefer A2’s description of generosity, interdependence and inclusion about how we treat each other over this amendment.

@LeilaniDavenberry

Hi again Leilani,

I share your strong support of the Wheeler Amendment!

Two questions about the Stebbins Amendment:

1. Even if you don’t agree with the WORDING of the Stebbins Amendment, do you agree that there is, in a sense, something “missing” from the Equity Value (even if the Wheeler Amendment passes)? In other words, the general structure for the Values is 1 Definition, 2 Covenant statement, and 3 Related statement. The structure for the Equity Value is simply 1 Definition, 2 Covenant statement. If you do agree that something is “missing,” what do you think it is - i.e. what WORDING would you suggest?

2. What do you think of this “friendly amendment” (which unfortunately UUA says is not possible for this year’s GA): “Every person is inherently worthy and has a right to flourish with dignity, love, and compassion. We covenant to listen, understand, respect and respond to one another in ways that prevent and address inequities. We use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully accessible and inclusive communities, advancing equity for all.” What do you think of this attempt to clarify the intent behind the Stebbins Amendment?

Thank you for your consideration.

• Kara

Hi Kara:

Thanks for asking. At this time, I don’t find anything lacking in the equity section (especially not that I can wordsmith right now for sure) that isn’t already covered well in other parts of A2 that I do really like. I have been attending sessions on A2 for 3 years and have recently attended two more in the last two months and find myself more moved and inspired by A2 as it is each time I read it or hear it.

I’m do not agree support this language “[INSERT: Equity calls us to listen, understand, respect, and respond to one another] or We covenant to listen, understand, respect and respond to one another in ways that prevent and address inequities” for all the reasons I’ve already explained in the other thread.

I am not strictly opposed to change or amendments. You are correct, I strongly support the Wheeler amendment for several reasons - it is totally alignment with the A2 charge (some folks might appreciate reading or rereading it Charge to the Article II Study Commission | UUA.org) and the wording of the amendment actually reads better than the A2’s language - literally forming better in my mouth and sounds more poetic and it feels better in my BIPOC UU heart as I read it. I can not say anything like that for the other proposed amendments including this one.

Thanks for your perspective, Leilani!

Leilani, I am humbled and honored by your words on how right my 2024 (Wheeler) Equity Amendment feels to you. If the GA this summer parallels that from last summer for amendments (Sponsor speaks, Commission speaks if they oppose, Pro comments, Con comments), I hope you will speak in favor. Your words are very powerful. And by the way, Rev. Cheryl Walker has stated in an open UU meeting that she will not oppose Wheeler Equity 2024. I am deeply grateful that “it feels better in [your] BIPOC UU heart as [you] read it.”

With profound gratitude,
In community
Bek Wheeler

Hello @LeilaniDavenberry and others considering the Stebbins Amendment.

On the chance that I have not expressed enough of both my passion and reasoning for the Stebbins Amendment, here is another attempt:

“What is Love (to this UU)?”

There are many answers to this question, but below are 3 of my answers – the 1st focusing on the Values of the Proposed Revision, the 2nd focusing on my profession as a psychodynamic psychotherapist, and the 3rd focusing on the Wheeler and Stebbins Equity Amendments.

• Noticing and listening to the interdependent web of all existence and responding in Love.
  • Realizing, understanding, and respecting that we are all sacred beings with differences and commonalities, and responding in Love.
  • Accepting that we must respond with growth in order to both adapt to the changing world and to transform the world with liberating Love.
    • Part of that response is to dismantle racism and other systemic oppressions and use more inclusive democratic processes.
    • Part of that response is to more generously share our faith, presence and resources.
    • Part of that response is to listen, understand, respect and respond to the interdependent web and to one another – in ways that prevent and address inequities and help us build and sustain accessible and inclusive communities – communities where systemic oppression cannot gain another foothold, and where every person can thrive.

• When a baby cries, we listen and try to figure out what they need. We don’t ignore them. We respond to their need as we understand it.
  • When an older child cries, we listen and try to figure out what they need. We don’t ignore them. But if they cry for candy - or later car keys - we don’t automatically give them what they cry for. We wisely pay attention to what they need in order to flourish, and we respond appropriately.
  • When a person who feels marginalized “cries”, we listen and try to figure out how and why they feel marginalized. We don’t ignore them. We find out what they need and we respond appropriately in ways that prevent or address inequities.
  • When I feel marginalized, I cry out as articulately as I know how to. I don’t ignore how I feel or what I think. I work for, ask for, and sometimes fight for what I think is needed.
  • When a person cries out in anger and uses hateful speech, we don’t have to listen long to understand that they are expressing anger and hate. We try to respect the person underneath that anger and hate – but we respect ourselves by doing what we need to protect ourselves. We respect them and ourselves by using our attention and wisdom to respond in ways that build and sustain accessible and inclusive communities - where all can thrive.

What is Love (to this UU)?

• I love Bek Wheeler’s Amendment of the Equity Values: “We declare that every person is inherently worthy and has the right to flourish with dignity, love, and compassion.” It’s like the 1st and 2nd Principles all rolled up into one Value: Inherent worthiness and dignity plus Compassion in human relations!
  • Then how can we express this Equity Value as a Covenant statement? How do we promise each other to support every person’s right to flourish? I believe support happens at multiple levels – at the level of the individual, the community and the association of congregations.
    • Support happens at an individual level, with compassion in human relations. It happens with understanding what each person needs to flourish, with understanding how we can make communities accessible for every person and how we can help every person be and feel included in those communities.
    • We use our “attention and wisdom” to “build and sustain accessible and inclusive communities.”
      • I believe “attention” includes “listening and understanding.”
      • I believe “wisdom” includes “respecting and responding” in ways that prevent and address inequities – at the individual, community and association of congregation levels.
  • I believe these ideas should be explicit in our Bylaws. I believe “Equity CALLS us to listen, understand, respect and respond to one another” in ways that support every person’s right to flourish.

“What is Love to YOU?”

Thanks for “listening.”