Amendment 70 to Article II - Proposed by Melissa Egbertson

Bold underlining indicate insertion ; [brackets indicate deletion.]

Section C-2.2. Values and Covenant.

Amendment: Add another value: Gratitude

To be added to the list of values.

It could be first in the list before Interdependence (line 23), or in another place in the order. We need some joy in our values.

Gratitude: We are grateful for our lives and the gifts that we have received. We cherish our beautiful world. We seek to create a world where all can benefit from its beauty and abundance.

5 Likes

I like this, but am not sure how many of these values really belong in organizational by-laws.

3 Likes

I like the sentiment behind this value, but feel that this amendment still needs a fair bit of wordsmithing.

1 Like

I’m not excited about adding another Value, but I do like this one!

If we do add it, I especially like your idea of it being the first one in the list.

Even though I know they say the list is in a random order, it is inevitably in a specific order - and that will have consequences for how it is read.

For me, this has the magnetic voice that is shared by amendment 39 earth. Something we need, but perhaps not as part of Article II.

1 Like

I think many people like to use the principles as a guide to evaluate where they are on their spiritual path. For example, I can ask myself “Have I recognized the inherent worth of all the people I came in contact with this week? Did I treat them with kindness, respect and compassion?” Similarly, I could ask myself, “Have I recognized all the gifts I have received, and have I taken time to recognize their importance and feel grateful for them? How can I seek to make sure others can have similar gifts?” This, I think, is the real, enduring value of the principles.

2 Likes

“Although a nice sentiment, it seems to be written from the point of view of abundance and (the dreaded word) privilege. Seems like gratitude is already mentioned in the existing value of Generosity.”

That was written by a friend of our congregation, who attends weekly and was attracted to UU because of the 7 principles.

2 Likes

The practice of gratitude is especially valuable when things are going wrong or when we face great challenges. It is recognizing the value in the intangibles, especially in the loving relationships that we have, that can give us strength to face our troubles and work through them.

1 Like

I am not a writer by trade, so to help explain my ideas, I am linking here to two articles about the practice of Gratitude and how it can be important to our lives. This is obviously not my original idea - practicing Gratitude is a keystone in many traditions.
Opinion | The discipline of gratitude - The Washington Post
What Does Gratitude Do For Your Health? What the Science Shows - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

1 Like

I agree with you on the importance of practicing gratitude, but I’m not sure it belongs as a value.

1 Like

Gratitude is an extension of Generosity as it’s mentioned. “We cultivate a spirit of gratitude and hope” discusses connection and interdependence. Having gratitude and joy is important and I value it, but feel it’s covered appropriately in line 37-39 or could be slightly word smithed further.

3 Likes

FYI, this is the draft UUFMC Statement about Amendment 70:

Gratitude is already used in the value of Generosity. In addition, some in our group perceive that asking everyone to have gratitude may be insensitive to people who have very little to be grateful for. The way gratitude is described may be seen as coming from a place of privilege, namely “gifts WE have received vs. we will create a world where ALL benefit.

6 Likes

Gratitude is popular among social and economic conservatives because it can be used as a weapon against social progress – as in, “you shouldn’t try to make the world a more just or equal place – just be grateful that you get anything.”

I wouldn’t want to see this being used to stifle calls for change or dissenting opinions for being “ungrateful”.

2 Likes

I’d agree that the language around the Generosity value adequately covers gratitude, and although I personally believe absolutely in the importance of a gratitude practice, I can also see how it can be weaponized by people with more privilege than compassion. If another person is ordering you to be grateful, what they really mean is that they want you to be complacent. Generosity, I believe, comes from a foundational assumption of abundance, which in turn comes from a foundational assumption of love.

1 Like

under the value of “Generosity” it says we cultivate a spirit of gratitude and hope - so it appears already covered.

1 Like

The proposed Article II revisions are clear about all the hard work we need to do. My understanding of the revisions was that policy updates were to be mixed with and supported by ideals and values that would provide food for our spirits to enable this hard work (thus the inclusion of LOVE).
I would like to suggest that the practice of Gratitude can provide food for our spirits, and that including Gratitude up front as a Value in Article II can help energize our actions in service and social justice with joy.
The practice of gratitude can be especially valuable when things are going wrong or when we face great challenges. Recognizing the value in intangibles, especially in gifts of loving relationships and community, can give us strength to face our troubles and work through them.
Practicing Gratitude is an important part of many faiths and traditions, and can bring comfort and hope in many stages and trials in our lives, as I have experienced personally. I think a lack of emphasis on practicing Gratitude may leave newcomers to our faith with a sense of something missing.
As we exercise our ability to feel gratitude, we can gain perspective on our existence and the experiences of others. A focus on gratitude can help capture the transcendent experience that people crave in a religion. It can add depth and emotion to both our individual practice and our communal experience of religion as UUs.
I acknowledge the text of this amendment may need revision.
I am grateful for this community and this opportunity to contribute. Thank you.

2 Likes

I think of gratitude as more of a spiritual practice. This would/could be part of and crucial to spiritual development.

1 Like

Article II defines what UU congregations agree on as we come together in association. Would we say that a congregation that does not practice gratitude does not belong in UUism? Not everything we believe belongs in Article II.

While I agree with gratitude as a personal practice but don’t see a need for it in our bylaws. Additionally I feel it’s covered in generosity and other places in A2. I feel like the other values are more about defining who we are as UUs. I like and agree with A2SC about generosity extending my blessings versus this amendment that makes me think of an individual’s gratitude. That’s no on this amendment.

2 Likes

@M_Eg " and others who have been commenting on this and other threads of amendments that were voted down and/or not prioritized, I understand that this part of the Discuss site will be locked on Tuesday.
The lay-led public Facebook group for discussing Article II and GA, , Blue Boat Passengers, will remain open for commenting a couple weeks longer and still be visible for viewing after that, as a public record.

Anyone who wishes to comment there may, but please be sure to review the rules and the announcement about the planned suspension of the group before commenting. Thanks very much.
Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook