Amendment 5 to Article II - Proposed by Matthew Johnson

Bold underlining indicate insertion ; [brackets indicate deletion.]

Lines 45-49

As Unitarian Universalists, we proclaim that direct experiences of transcending mystery and wonder are a primary source of inspiration. These experiences open our hearts, renew our spirits, and transform our lives. We draw upon, and are inspired by, sacred, [and] secular, and scientific understandings that help us make meaning and live into our values. We respect the histories, contexts, and cultures in which these understandings were created and are currently practiced. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the experiences that move us, aware of the religious ancestries we inherit, and enlivened by the diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

30 Likes

This amendment was created by a group of a dozen ministers, and improved by a small group at the workshop. It brings back that beautiful and vital phrase: direct experience of transcending mystery and wonder. It adds scientific at the request of some congregations as well, and clarifies that gratitude is not our response to all of our religious heritages.

9 Likes

I too support Amendment 5.

2 Likes

I love this revision! Thank you!

3 Likes

This is lovely… my UU theology class focused significantly on direct experience. This one has my vote.

2 Likes

I support this amendment.

However when I read the language in amendment #34, I realized there might be something missing in #5. Kathleen Adams writes, "We draw upon our experience of creation, nature, wonder and the inherent wisdom of each and all.”

I’m not sure whether there is a way to combine the two.

But to me, #35 expresses the importance of listening to each other as a source of inspiration. Sort of like “the Buddha in me honors the Buddha in you.” I realize that the Value of Pluralism covers this idea to some degree, “We . . . learn from one another . . .” but it doesn’t sound very inspirational in that context. And currently the Transformation Value only says we will “collectively transform and grow spiritually and ethically.”

Here’s one attempt at combining #5 and #34:
As Unitarian Universalists, we proclaim that direct experiences of transcending mystery and wonder are a primary source of inspiration. [These experiences open our hearts, renew our spirits, and transform our lives.] We draw upon our experience of creation, nature, wonder and the inherent wisdom of each and all. We [draw upon, and] are inspired by, sacred, [and] secular, and scientific understandings that help us make meaning and live into our values. We respect the histories, contexts, and cultures in which these understandings were created and are currently practiced. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the experiences that move us, aware of the religious ancestries we inherit, and enlivened by the diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

4 Likes

I like this combination.

I wouldn’t support this amendment. As a humanist/atheist, I feel like it places too much emphasis on direct experience.

I feel that direct experience is important and should definitely be included in the sources, but should not be promoted above the others, as this source seems to do.

3 Likes

I really like a lot about this proposed amendment. I hope it makes it to the final 10 or whatever we will get to discuss during GA. Thank you to those who worked on it!

This language is beautiful!

I would like to consider that of all the descriptoins of inspriation in sentence 45 below that “indigenous knowledge” be added to the above and #5 would be complete (for me) perhaps for others. - close.

I offered amenndment #60.
44 Section C-2.3. Inspirations.
45 As Unitarian Universalists, we [use, and] are inspired by[, sacred and secular understandings] the world’s religions, and wisdom traditions, by indigenous knowledge, by humanist teachings, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit
46 [that help us to live into our values]. We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which
47-49 are as proposed by Study Commission.

1 Like

1 Like

This language describes better than any other language in the proposed Article II my reasons for being a UU and why this faith is meaningful to me.

I think that this amendment is beautiful and is much better than the original proposal. Additionally, I am a mystic at heart. However, all mystical traditions stress practice in communities and grounding and have cautionary tales for not stressing these aspects, for example Shabbetai Zevi in the Jewish tradition. I think it is potentially dangerous to elevate any one source above another. To address this issue, we have included almost all the text of this amendment in #27 and then have added additional text regarding wisdom and grounding. Additionally, we were inspired in our amendment by many sources but two of interest to folks that support this amendment are two new books on wonder: Awe: The New Science of Everyday Wonder and How It Can Transform Your Life by Dacher Keltner and Enchantment: Awakening Wonder in an Anxious Age by Katherine May.

2 Likes

@uurockrev

One more attempt at a friendly amendment combining #5 and #34:

As Unitarian Universalists, we [proclaim that direct experiences of transcending mystery and wonder are a primary source of inspiration.] draw upon our experience of transcending mystery, creation, nature, wonder and the inherent wisdom of each and all. These experiences open our hearts, renew our spirits, and transform our lives. We [draw upon,** and] are inspired by, sacred, [and] secular, and scientific understandings that help us make meaning and live into our values. We respect the histories, contexts, and cultures in which these understandings were created and are currently practiced. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the experiences that move us, aware of the religious ancestries we inherit, and enlivened by the diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

2 Likes

One of my congregation’s regularly attending friends who was attracted to UU in part due to our NON-prioritized list of 6 Sources, had this reaction to this Amendment:

“Very spooky to have direct experiences of mystery and wonder be a primary source. What about the rest of us who have not had those experiences? This amendment takes things a bit too far. Kara’s comments decrease the importance of mystery and wonder to the same level as other inspirations:”

“However, those things being listed first in a two-dimensional list, makes me want to run from this group. For some, the focus would be on scientific constructs, for others, secular writings and experiences. In these lists, the sacred understandings and transcending mystery are first when they could be in the middle or last, so as not to scare away those who are religion-phobic.”

2 Likes

I like what’s here except the word “primary.” I have many sources of inspiration, and I’m uncomfortable creating a hierarchy for them for the broad community.

4 Likes

I strongly agree with this, from another atheist/humanist. Mystery, wonder, & awe rarely work for me.

1 Like

FYI, this is the draft UUFMC Statement about Amendment 5:

This amendment elevates direct experiences and sacred inspirations to a primary level. To represent those of us who have not had those sacred experiences, a more equal footing is preferred.

We recommend not using this amendment and replacing it with a combination of amendments 5 and 34:

45 As Unitarian Universalists, [we use, and are inspired by, sacred and secular understandings

46 that help us live into our values.] we draw upon our experience of transcending mystery, creation, nature, wonder and the inherent wisdom of each and all. These experiences open our hearts, renew our spirits, and transform our lives. We [draw upon, and] are inspired by, sacred, [and] secular, and scientific understandings that help us make meaning and live into our values. We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which

47 [they] these understandings were created and are currently practiced. These sources ground us and sustain us in

48 ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for [the religious ancestries we inherit and] the experiences that move us, aware of the religious ancestries we inherit, and enlivened by the

49 diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

What if the word “primary” came out of the language? I like this amendment a lot, but I can understand that saying direct experience matters more than anything else might be a turnoff for some people. Perhaps there’s a way to back off the intensity but still preserve the basic idea?

2 Likes