Amendment 75 to Article II - Proposed by Mary Jo Ebert

Bold underlining indicate insertion ; [brackets indicate deletion.]

44 Section C-2.3. Inspirations.
45 [As] Unitarian [Universalists, we use, and are] Universalism is a living tradition inspired by[,] sacred and secular understandings
46 that foster learning and help us to live [into] our values. The sources from which we draw inspiration include, but are not limited to:

• Direct experience of wonder and mystery which inspire openness to the forces that create and uphold life;
  • Wisdom from Unitarianism and Universalism, their Christian and Jewish roots, and other spiritual traditions which inform and motivate our ethical and spiritual lives;
  • Words and deeds of prophetic people that challenge us to confront structures of harm with justice and compassion;
  • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and results of science;
  • Earth-centered traditions which celebrate the circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature;
  • The creative arts which enable exploration of life’s meaning through emotional connections.

46 We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which
47 [they] these sources were created and are [currently] practiced. [These sources] They ground us and sustain us in
48 ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the religious ancestries we inherit and the
49 diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

------- Rationale for this amendment -------

• For people learning about UUism, whether just discovering it or long-time members, the listed sources (inspirations) are helpful for understanding what this religion uses for its teachings. It conveys an open-mindedness to a range of teachings and experiences while also subtly conveying that it’s not an anything-goes religion.
  • It is important to recognize the range of sources that matter to UUs, from our own and other religious/spiritual teachings to Humanism; from wonder and mystery to science and reason.
  • Saying “including, but not limited to” makes clear that this list is not meant to be all inclusive of every possible source an individual UU, congregation or fellowship might use.

------- Note -------

During the May workshops, I participated in conversations with others who wish to have an updated list of sources blended into the proposed Inspirations section. I’m aware that Janet Leavens is submitting a group amendment, and there may be others. There wasn’t time to rationalize them all into one. The delegates from my congregation suggest that there be one “include updated sources in Inspirations” amendment presented at GA and if it passes, take time after GA to consider the range of suggested wording offered through the amendment process and reach consensus on a blending of ideas.

4 Likes

Well done. I think these sources help tell the others more about the diversity of thought that goes into the wide range of topics in our services.

1 Like

I see that there is concensus building around two of the Inspiration amendments, 34 and 53, perhaps you can make a friendly amendment with one of those offerings?

to folks still “in the conversation”–I understand that this site will be locked on Tuesday. Our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, created for discussing Article II and GA, will remain open for commenting a couple weeks longer (and still be visible for viewing as a public record afterwards).
Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook

Anyone who wishes to use the Blue Boat Passengers group for finding each other and coordinating to do the 15-congregation amendment process may do so while the group remains open (must follow group rules).

Here are some comments about the 15-congregation amendment process, from Donald Wilson, who used to be on the GA Planning Committee:

"“Unlike how the amendment process was run for this GA (ie at the discretion of the moderators and board), the process you’ve mentioned is bylaw and subject to little to no interpretation. I wouldn’t wait however. You need to get the petition from the UUA Board Secretary in the next couple weeks, and you have to have it turned Into the Board before February 1st.”

“You don’t even have to have a congregational vote. You just have to get their board to sign off.” ETA: You must check this–rules vary by congregation. Also, look for the UU Governance Lab group on Facebook to connect with Donald Wilson directly.

Also, a comment from another member who was participating on Discuss:
“Some of us are connecting on Slack, mainly to remain in contact with others interested in specific amendments or the amendment process in general at GA 2024.”

https://join.slack.com/…/zt-1y0pvelub-YVxUFoPpTrZ…