Proposed Amendment #2 to Business Resolution: Complete Divestment from the Fossil Fuel Industry and Subsequent Reparations

AMENDMENT #2 PROPOSED BY DELEGATE ANTOINETTE SCULLY

UPDATE 6/10: This amendment was made by the proposers of the Business Resolution and is considered a friendly amendment and incorporated during the mini assembly.

Bold underlining indicate insertion ; [brackets indicate deletion.]

308 BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the UUCEF will return an equivalent value of the securities that were
309 invested in fossil fuels as of June 30, 2022, or the total value of securities invested in fossil fuels at the
310 time of the 2023 General Assembly of the UUA, whichever is greater, in the form of reparations to [both]
311 the Indigenous tribes and communities who are the ancestral and continued stewards of this land, [and]
312 [the descendants of enslaved] Black and Brown communities(prioritizing these communities which are working class) [people that were forced to create the physical wealth]
313 [of the so-called United States of America, both]** and refugees of prior and ongoing wars fueled by the fossil fuel industry, [both] all parties of which have [survived] endured the ongoing violence of
314 racist-capitalist systems which sought to actively destroy them, and

Full text of the Business Resolution: Complete Divestment from the Fossil Fuel Industry and Subsequent Reparations

2 Likes

I appreciate seeing both versions of this text. Writing these things is like writing poetry: trying to express in 50 words what deserves 500 pages.
I like this a little better. It allows the task force to consider more people who have been harmed by the fossil fuel economy and the fossil fuel political system.

4 Likes

It is worth mentioning that this amendment is proposed by a member of the Youth Divestment Caucus which first drafted this Business Resolution. All members of the caucus approve of it [that is, it is FRIENDLY], and it was made in response to the feedback we received while gathering over 400 signatures from across the country.

Thanks to all of you who are a part of this important work with us.

5 Likes

UPDATE 6/10: This amendment was made by the proposers of the Business Resolution and is considered a friendly amendment and incorporated during the mini assembly.

I will vote for this since it is considered a friendly amendment, but I like the original version better. We have such a long historical debt that we owe indigenous and black people in this country that I feel that is more of a priority. I understand the direct connection between our greed and thirst for oil and how that has impacted people around the world with wars and poverty, but I guess there is some part of me that feels like the original resolution is directed at the folx “first in line”. Not sure if that makes sense, but I hope so.

We don’t actually have to vote on this one; it has been incorporated into the resolution that will go to the main session. I appreciate your perspective, and tend to agree, but getting it passed is the main goal.