#94 | Sally Erb | Change "hope" to "abundance"

Submission 94
Sally Erb
UU Congregation of Venice Inc. (Venice, FL) 3028

What is your suggestion or idea?

Way too wordy. Too complicated. Too long. Feels like a contract rather than a goal.See below for my objection to covenant.
———

Justice. I REALLY do not like “we are accountable to each other for this work”. I certainly feel a judgment in that statement. Who gets to judge?
We work to be diverse multicultural beloved communities where all are welcome and thrive. We work to dismantle racism and all forms of oppression.

Generosity. I don’t feel the need for the last sentence explanation.
We cultivate a spirit of gratitude and hope, sharing freely our faith, presence, and resources.

Evolution. I don’t feel the need for the last sentence explanation.
We adapt to the changing world, transforming and growing spiritually and ethically.

Pluralism. The last two sentences could be shortened and tightened up:
We are all sacred beings diverse in culture, theology, and experience. We learn from one another and explore our many wisdoms with love, curiosity and respect.

Equity. Every person has the right to flourish with dignity and worthiness. We support building and sustaining a fully inclusive community.

Interdependence. We honor the sacred interdependent web of all existence and understand our place in the web. We care for and respect the earth and all beings and work to repair bonds we have broken.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

Covenant
A covenant is a formal, solemn binding agreement. To me it is a contract, and I don’t believe our principles are a contract, I believe they are a goal. I object to the use of the word covenant in each of the six principles. I understand that in UU gatherings we covenant to treat each other respectfully and to abide by whatever rules the group has agreed to in the covenant; we all agree on the covenant and promise to abide by it, or we don’t belong. There is a consequence if we break the covenant. If I mistakenly do something that is against what I agreed to, I feel sad, apologize and try to make it right. To be in covenant with these six principles will likely make me feel guilty all the time for missing the mark.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?