#175 | Marcia Smith | Endorsing Sally Erb's Submission

Submission 175
Marcia Smith
UU Congregation of Venice Inc. (Venice, FL) 3028

What is your suggestion or idea?

I am largely endorsing the suggested text submitted by Sally Erb of my congregation. I am unsure of the suitability of the word covenant in each “value”
Also I think it is odd that only the first value contains the word accountable. My understanding is that this has been a conundrum to congregations who with all good intentions have adopted the 8th principle. Who determines and how is it determined if enough or the right kind of actions have happened?
I would rather have these values stated simply and succinctly as possible, and then in a separate section, provide a list of recommended programs, workshops, group and individual activities to progress towards our best selves as groups and individuals.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

Brevity and simplicity are very important in statements that we use to define UU to ourselves and to the world.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I am in ongoing conversation with other members of my congregation.

Agree with this. As a UU I do not wish to enter into a number of covenants which a basically binding promises to act on certain things. I agree to aspire to promote principles. I can aspire to live values, but I do not wish to covenant to certain actions even if they seem generally good things. Who will decide when we are in or out of covenant?

1 Like