#85 | Becca Boerger | Categories of Sources

What I see here is someone re-defining the word “god.” UUs are champions at this! I have seen UU’s call everything and anything God. My God is Evolution! My God is the Love that Binds us all together! My God is All Being!

What is the point of this exercise? Why is it important to use the same term, “god” to describe things, ideas, experiences and feelings that the vast majority of humans do not understand as God? Do we feel like we need religion so badly that we need to manipulate language in order to feel like we belong? Or for some other reason?

I understand that these non-god gods have some of the attributes of traditional Gods — universal, original, powerful, etc. At the same time, they are philosophically unnecessary, they don’t add anything that cannot already be explained by something else or simply accepted as “the way it is.” Traditionally gods were created to fill in the gaps, to explain the otherwise unexplainable. I suppose you could say that the system of mathematics is otherwise unexplainable. But why can’t we just be satisfied with that, instead of trying to “deify” it?

1 Like

I think that’s just the inherent problem of trying to reduce a concept to a single word. There will never be a single word which can be used to describe “all the spiritual stuff” or “all the good stuff” because only words in combination have meaning.

For me when I speak of gods in the most general sense, I mean “the form of the spiritual world” (which includes the possibility of the empty set, e.g. the pure a-theology) and “god” is a familiar one-syllable shorthand. In a rhetorical context, aesthetics can be as important as accuracy.

When I see the word “spiritual” I either wonder “what the heck is that?” or I think “oh that’s that awe, wonder, ineffability, infinity that makes you feel funny” and leave it at that. Maybe it’s the emotional response to infinity.

What do you mean when you use the word “spiritual”? (And no fair using the word ‘god’ in the definition.).

1 Like

Only easy questions in this thread, eh?

For the purpose of Article II, I think it’s fine (and perhaps best) to rely on the cultural, non-prescriptive understanding what what “spiritual” is. That is, if we asked random people to name some “spiritual” stuff, I think most people would have some answers: god and gods, heaven and hell, pantheons of spirits, yin and yang, the soul, natural or universal forces, metaphysical abstractions (like justice and mercy), unexplainable experiences… and any other possible answers.

If I were to go with something more prescriptive for “spiritual world”, I’d go with something like

“the whole set of immaterial or non-physical things, which may be beyond one’s direct access or feel ‘greater’ than one’s self.”

And now perhaps I must specify what it means to “have access” to something, and if we really have access to anything at all, but I think a discussion on the nature and ontology of reality is beyond the scope of this thread. So to stay on topic, maybe we can continue this discussion via email.

2 Likes

I can see that “world religions” being a bump - with a sense of humor I would add “the good part” of world’s religion (but I think that is implied).

1 Like

It’s actually “Wisdom from the world’s religions” - so I take that as “the good part”.
From a historian’s perspective, I prefer that language, since it does feel more quantifiable and definite than “Sacred understandings” which doesn’t really mean anything (or, to be fair, is probably meant to mean whatever you wish it to mean).

It’s a little pototoes / potatoes… but I do find “sacred understandings” to not include the wisdom I have gleaned from religions that I personally do not follow, but, am sometimes inspired by. Or I guess at that point it becomes a “secular understanding”? I am not sure the intent of that term.

2 Likes

This is why we added “discern” in the draft I shared with my congregation (it’s around here somewhere as #460 and is also being workshopped as one of the “mid-form” alternatives alongside @beccaboerger’s shorter one.

1 Like

“That said, I just don’t think leaving out religion entirely is going to fly with the majority of UUs”

No, it isn’t going to fly and it shouldn’t fly, if we are sincere about freedom of belief. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about how to add our Unitarian and Universalist heritages. What would you think about

@KLusignan

“We are inspired by our Unitarian and Universalist heritages and other world religions and wisdom traditions, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the creative arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. We honor the pluralism of our lineage. Moving forward, we discern and build upon Unitarian Universalism’s sources, mindful of the cultures in which they evolved.”

2 Likes

I like this and suggest changing the last sentence to, "we discern and build upon our sources . . . " As short as this one is, I think “Unitarian Universalist/Universalism” twice is a bit of a mouthful, and also the latter sentence is a little clunky to say perhaps?

2 Likes

Another try:

We are inspired by our Unitarian and Universalist heritages and other world religions and wisdom traditions, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, and by the creative arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, The direct experience of life, including its wonder and mystery, expands our minds and spirit. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. We honor the pluralism of our lineage, mindful of the cultures from which it evolved. As a living tradition, we build upon our sources, called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

@beccaboerger

I prefer your original version. I feel it does a wonderful job of highlighting the most important sources succinctly. And it remains broad enough to include the current sources that aren’t explicitly named in your version (Earth-based traditions as wisdom traditions, lives of prophetic people as exemplars of the best of world’s religion and wisdom traditions and secular sources too). I am a creative artist so I don’t object to adding that but I also don’t find it necessary as I can see it included in the other sources you’re naming (a kind of wisdom tradition and practice, a form of direct experience, a secular source).

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

Current form of Inspirations amendment #85

“As Unitarian Universalists, we are inspired by the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the creative arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. We honor the pluralism of our lineage. Moving forward, we will continue to explore and build upon Unitarian Universalism’s sources, mindful of the cultures in which they evolved.”

If you are a DELEGATE and support this amendment, please sign this google doc by noon ET on June 4. Names from the list will be added to a single comment on discuss.org.

1 Like

Becca and suggestion #85 group - - you decide if any part of the following version fits into your design. I thought the last sentence in your proposed amendment was not as elegant as the previous sentences. And then things went from there. Below is an workup from the SC versoin to the suggestion #85 version - to the edited version I offer you. I tried to work with the spirit of the SC revision and the #85 version in making my comments and edits. Best. (yes I’m a delegate too).

Study Commission Version (with amendment from suggestion #85 edits)

Section C-2.3. Inspirations. (74 words)

As Unitarian Universalists, we use, and are inspired by, sacred and the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, by science, arts and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the creative arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. secular understandings that help us to live into our values . We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which they were created and are currently practiced. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the religious ancestries we inherit and the diversity which enriches our faith. We honor the pluralism of our lineage. Mindful of the cultures in which they evolved**,** we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom sources of inspiration.

Section C-2.3. Inspirations Amendment Suggestion # 85 (92 words)

“As Unitarian Universalists, we are inspired by the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the creative arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. We honor the pluralism of our lineage. Moving forward, we will continue to explore and build upon Unitarian Universalism’s sources, mindful of the cultures in which they evolved.”

My Changes to Suggestion #85 that I was inspired to put forward to this group.

“As Unitarian Universalists, we are inspired by the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, by science**, arts** and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the creative arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. We honor the pluralism of our lineage. Mindful of the cultures in which they evolved, Moving forward, we will continue to explore and build upon Unitarian Universalism’s sources, mindful of the cultures in which they evolved.”, we are called to ever deepen and expand our sources of inspiration.

My Changes for Suggestion #85 - edits completed (87)

As Unitarian Universalists we are inspired by the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, science, arts and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. We honor the pluralism of our lineage. Mindful of the cultures in which they evolved, we are called to ever deepen and expand our sources of inspiration.

My reasons for agreement with suggestion #85 amendment to Section C-2.3. Inspirations

1. strike: “use, and”: the list of inspirations that follow “we are inspired” are not always in use or ours to use. It is enough to state we are inspired. “use, and” could be left in as well.

2. strike: ", sacred and secular understandings that help us to live into our values . Secular is kept and sacred is described in the inserted words that follow:

3. add: “the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, by science and other secular sources of truth and meaning and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit.” It was important to the amendment group to expand/define the intent of sacred.

4. strike: " that help us to live into our values. Inspirations can serve many purposes including helping UUs live their values - I could not think of a reason to insist on keeping this phrase. The Study Committee reasons might be compelling to keep it. Help is described in a sentence that follows - retained from the SC revision " These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times." Help described, the phrase “that help…” may not be needed.

5. strike: We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which they were created and are currently practiced. I believe the amendment intends that the important message of respect for the histories, contexts and cultures is contained in the combination of the second to last sentence of the amendment, “We honor the pluralism of our lineage” and the first half of the last sentence, “Mindful of the cultures in which they evolved…”.

a. Religion is now part of the first sentence of inspirations “world religions.” Religion remains very much a part of inspirations.

b. I read that the SC revision using "ancestries we inherit “is rephrased as “honor the pluralism of our lineage.”

c. I am not as comfortable inheriting (western legacy view) as I am honoring what came before and the use of pluralism is a direct reference to our sacred beings diverse experience (Pluralism). Making use of pluralism is another bit of inspiration on the part of the group.

My Reasons for Changes to Suggestion #85Amendement.

1. Add: “arts” and strike “by the creative arts”, in just having arts, all arts are included and art is now described (along with science) as an “other” secular source of knowledge and meaning. (shorter too).

2. Last sentence changes: reordering to have the last sentence start with Mindful of the cultures in which they evolved… (what are we compelled to do?). I feel that this last phrase could go either way, with the amended "we will continue to explore, but I believe that a slightly amended SC revised version “we are called to…” feels more UU to me.

3. change the SC revised version’s “wisdom” to sources of inspiration. Inspiration can fuel wisdom, and many other human aspirations. It felt right that we end the description of inspiration by mindfully expanding our sources of inspiration, leaving open the qualities that that inspiration imbues.

@Steward Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. I have been following the discussion and evolution of one of the mid-length inspirations amendments, and I like much of the language they have come up with. It goes back to more of the original study commission language. I will post my current draft now.

I have been watching the discussion and evolution of #147, a mid-length inspirations amendment from the workshop group I was a part of. I prefer some of the language they have come up with. Specifically, I have added humanism to the named sources. I have added back in the term “respect” in a way that makes clear we respect the cultural sources of our positive inspirations, not all religions. And these changes brought the language at the end much closer to the original language of the study commission.

“As Unitarian Universalists, we are inspired by the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by humanist teachings that challenge us to create a better world for all, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. We respect the histories, contexts, and cultures in which the wisdom we draw upon was created and is currently practiced. Grateful for the religious and cultural ancestries we inherit and the diversity that enriches our community, we are called by our living tradition to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.”

1 Like

Becca,
I will be returning to look at the delegate portal late this afternoon West Coast time.
I look forward to continue the dialogue and I do see it as positive work.
Thank you for your reply

Thank you for your rich, thoughtful post.

1 Like

Adding a source - brings to mind an omission as to sources (and once down that road then you get closer to #147) that I noticed but might be a part of all the description of sources previously part of #85.

I was looking for indigenous knowledge (not as global as I was hoping for). How does one describe plant knowledge of medicines, soil knowledge, seasons and shamanistic oneness of being - one with the landscape and patterns of life. My goal would be to find two words that convey that meaning. I am sure that humanist teaching is a different (important) but different source than what I have been listening for.

I consider myself at least part humanist. Some humanists might object to being part of religion, but I see humanists as being part of the world’s religions and not a description of us as two legged knowledge bearing beings that are inextricably meshed with our surroundings