#85 | Becca Boerger | Categories of Sources

I tried this. I’m afraid it just pushes that sentence too far.

As Unitarian Universalists, we are inspired by the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, by indigenous knowledge, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by humanist teachings that challenge us to create a better world for all, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. We respect the histories, contexts, and cultures in which the wisdom we draw upon was created and is currently practiced. Grateful for the religious and cultural ancestries we inherit and the diversity that enriches our community, we are called by our living tradition to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.”

I have too much to say about the need for the entry of something like “indiginous knowledge of mother earth” to find its way into Inspirations.

I entirely agree that the addtion to the current sentence goes to far. I am working on an Inspirations Amendment that will likely be a variation on what you had one reply before.

For those following #85 and who have not been with us long - you can forego the next part of the comment and save your energy and just know that #85 is headed in a positive direction.

Missing from our Inspirations - “mother earth”, “turtle island”

I have felt we are missing something from our UUA Inspirations Value. I believe a phrase like the one below, is the essence of what is missing. For me, three essential words are connected in this phrase, they are “indigenous” “mother” and “earth”. If you have a few words that express the intent more fully - I welcome them. I am transformed by this phrase.

“Indigenous wisdom that teaches us to walk each step as a greeting to mother earth.”

As a white settler I don’t feel I the have authorship, and I don’t believe our Association has authorship, to use these words without permission. I believe we would need to ask for permission. I believe we could ask if Robin Wall Kimmerer would feel she had the authority to give us this permission or if any of our indigenous UU members would consider how we ask for permission. If these words or phrase are found part of our Inspiration Value, I think we could find a way to receive permission in time for our vote at the end of the month. I found the words, used in the above phrase, online:

From Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants. 2013. Robin Wall Kimmerer. Milkweed Editions. (pps 205-215)

While I would center the Inspiration value on the above consideration. I would want to do so in harmony with the Study Commission revision, and the several amendments suggested for Inspiration, that leave the cadence and structure (number of words) of the Study Commission version of Inspirations intact.

That said, until I understand differently (maybe I am missing something in the work that has come before me), I see an important omission in not having our connection to mother earth lifted within Inspirations. What I see in the Inspirations are words that speak to our observance of the wonder of mother earth, but not that we are a part of her - kin and the wisdom of that kinship that has been known for tens of thousands of years.

1 Like

I agree and would like to find a way to include at least some reference to indigenous knowledge. How about

“the world’s religions and wisdom traditions, including indigenous knowledge,”

I’m going to submit this amendment at 3 pm Eastern time. I need to move on to other responsibilities later today.

1 Like

The following in support of the above submitted amendment.

As Unitarian Universalists, we [use, and] are inspired by, [sacred and secular understandings that help us to live into our values.] the world’s religions, and wisdom traditions, by indigenous knowledge, by humanist teachings, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit . We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which they were created and are currently practiced. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the religious ancestries we inherit and the diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

Amendment without editorial marks:

As Unitarian Universalists, we are inspired by the world’s religions, and wisdom traditions, by indigenous knowledge, by humanist teachings, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery which expands our minds and spirit. We respect the histories, contexts and cultures in which they were created and are currently practiced. These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the religious ancestries we inherit and the diversity which enriches our faith, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

General Reasons for Amendment:

After consideration of the many submissions that asked for more reference to sources, I see the #85 amendment development as achieving the balance of naming sources without losing the continuity of Inspirations as part of the overall revised six values and Article II tapestry.

My only change to what Becca finally submitted was to include humanist teachings and not the phrase " that challenge us to create a better world for all." I would keep that phrase if the description of named inspirations was not already long and if it was clear that humanist teachings are not the only source that challenges us to create a better world.

Other than that change this submission is hers. I am reminded that submissions should be distinctly different, but I am adding mine to emphasize the need to name the inspiration and not leave it just to the binary of what is sacred and what is secular. It is my hope that by providing the backgound and reasoning for this amendment that my fellow delegates would consider voting for it.

In the final review, I agree with #85’s author, that the focus of an amendment should be on the inclusion of named inspirations (sentence 1 and 2). I came to the conclusion, as much as I worked at it, the Study Commissions text contained the tone and completeness of the relationship I have to inspiration as a member of a UUA member association. The last three sentences remain unchanged.

Specific Reasons for Amendment:

strike “use, and”: the list of inspirations that follow “we are inspired” are not always in use or ours to use. It is enough to state we are inspired. “use, and” could be left in as well but being frugal with the number of words is a further reason to let of “use, and”.

strike: ", sacred and secular understandings… . Secular is kept and sacred is described in the suggested amendment named inspirations that follow: “the world’s religions, and wisdom traditions, by indigenous knowledge, by humanist teachings, by science and other secular sources of knowledge and meaning, by the arts, which open our hearts to life’s joys and sorrows, and by the direct experience of wonder and mystery” I appreciate the succinct and elegant “sacred and secular” as it avoids the naming of inspirations that might leave one excluded, but lets try this amendment on for size. I think it does the work of naming inspirations comprehensively, evenly, and without losing the continuity of the original Inspiration text.

strike: “…that help us to live into our values.” Inspirations can serve many purposes including helping UUs live their values. Help is described in a sentence that follows - retained from the SC revision “These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times.” Help described, the phrase “that help…” may not be needed. Further the balance of Article II contains the statement “live our values.”

Process used to reach recommending this amendment:

For the Study Commission revised Article II inspirations. I reviewed 13 amendment requests for keeping most or all of the sources (most were short requests to restore the 6 sources). I reviewed about as many for changing the draft of Inspirations offered by the Study Commission, but not for the return of a statement for each source.

What I saw most common was the request to include “direct experience” “mystery and wonder” I appreciate #364 Karen Zindell’s brevity and content and particularly like the phrase “prophetic words and deeds”, though I defer to the SC structure.
#277 Meta Thayer came up with a flowing way to include “earth-centered traditions and humanist teachings”

I followed #85 Becca Boerger most closely as her exploration and coalition was very comprehensive and closest overall what I was looking for in Inspirations-
The amendment I submitted makes a minor change to Becca’s amendment. I proposed this on the same thread #85 so that others can follow the conversations leading up to the amendment.

I have been in communication with the other 4 delegates from UU Church of Davis and with our Reverend. Our congregation does not have a tradition of informing our delegates as to how to vote at GA. Our congregation members have not organized to create amendments to Article II and have left it up to our delegates. Our 5 delegates have only sought to create 2 amendments , one for Purposes and one for Inspirations.

Consideration of this amendment comes after thorough review of the potential amendment submissions, extensive, if condensed, review of the Study Commissions work and dialogue with my fellow delegates who have been at this longer than I have.

I am grateful for the Study Commission, this has been an intense journey and a journey it will remain. I want to thank our UUA volunteers and staff who have made this and all of our engagement possible. In service, Scott

1 Like

I would suggest “grateful for the ancestries we inherit.” It’s not only religious ancestries. Our amendment (which shares some language with this one) added “cultural,” but I think that would feel redundant in this short an amendment.

It is all blurring together now because so many people have commented in so many different locations, but I hope you will consider supporting the “mid-form” amendment that combined #460 and #147 into one amendment. I know you like the short form, but I am hoping several choices will move forward to GA so that delegates can have a real choice to vote on. I am not a delegate, but I support both @beccaboerger 's shorter one and our mid length one, which were workshopped together and between which there has been a lot of cross-pollination.
#147 | Janet Leavens | Add Depth, Breadth, and Specificity - Article II Amendment Idea Submissions / Amendment Ideas - UUA General Assembly Business

1 Like

@KLusignan

Practically speaking, I feel that the signing on to a list in support of an amendment acts like a primary. In that sense, I would encourage people to only sign on to their favorite amendment in a given category. That shows which of the Inspirations section amendments is preferred by the most people and makes room for a broader swath of amendments to go up for a vote. Practically speaking there isn’t much time for the voting so I think it would be better if we’re voting on the Inspirations amendment that got the most support (in what I’m comparing to a primary), the Equity amendment that got the most “primary” support, and so on.

1 Like

I don’t know how they are planning to take into account this information alongside other information about collaboration and support. Just saying how I would view it, since I understand there is not a limit on amendments delegates can support.

1 Like

Becca - how do you pronounce Boeger. is it two or 3 syllables? thanks.

Note: I understand these theads will be closed for comment tomorrow. I wanted to note that the Blue Boat Passengers lay-led discussion group on Facebook will remain open for another couple weeks, and those who wish to use the group to find each other and coordinate about the 15-congregation amendment process may do so (must read the rules and the pinned post before engaging).

Here are some comments about the 15-congregation amendment process, from Donald Wilson, who used to be on the GA Planning Committee:

"“Unlike how the amendment process was run for this GA (ie at the discretion of the moderators and board), the process you’ve mentioned is bylaw and subject to little to no interpretation. I wouldn’t wait however. You need to get the petition from the UUA Board Secretary in the next couple weeks, and you have to have it turned Into the Board before February 1st.”

“If one congregation has a thought, send an email to 50 others and say “we are discussing X. What do you think?”
That is also the kind of thing that we have District and Regional assemblies for, both in person and virtual.
That is also the type of thing your religious professionals should be talking about at their regular meetings with their colleagues like minister Association chapter meetings.
It is the responsibility of your board president and other trustees to be deeply aware of the affairs of your closest congregations.
You discover by being in relationship and talking to one another.
You coordinate by email and phone call, same as we have for the last quarter century.”

“You don’t even have to have a congregational vote. You just have to get their board to sign off.” ETA: You must check this–rules vary by congregation. Also, look for the UU Governance Lab group on Facebook to connect with Donald Wilson directly.

Also, a comment from another member who was participating on Discuss:
“Some of us are connecting on Slack, mainly to remain in contact with others interested in specific amendments or the amendment process in general at GA 2024.”

https://join.slack.com/…/zt-1y0pvelub-YVxUFoPpTrZ…