#486 | Kara Stebbins | compromise between the Proposed Revision and the Current Article II

I love the lead with a strong action verb for each statement! I also like how you have incorporated some of the new language along with the concepts we already had; great work!

Regarding your second to last bullet point,

• We give generously of our attention, time, talents and resources, as we adapt with the changing world.

We had a great discussion about the “Transformation” value in the Zoom session – and I think it’s sensible to pair the “generosity” language with growth/change, but I think the connection there could be more clear. Here were some of the points from that group: we want to embody both personal and interpersonal transformation, we want to grow both “spiritually” and “ethically” (which is also more inclusive for non-spiritual people), we want to include acceptance of one another, and we want to acknowledge our active participation in societal transformation. You can see @uurockrev’s great wording in this thread: #448 | LeRae Niell | Change “Transformation” to “Growth”

I know there’s already plenty on the table, but here’s one more wording to consider. Please feel free to take any language you like:

• (we) Respect the inherent worth of every being, and uphold our common right to respect, love, and dignity

• (We) Explore the spiritual and religious possibilities in a free and open search for personal truth and meaning, and embrace the diversity of cultures, experiences, and theologies

• (We) Build a beloved community of peace, liberty, and freedom from oppression by employing democracy, accessible and inclusive to all peoples, and give generously in loving cooperation

• (We) Respect the interdependent web of all existence, heal our ties to the great tree of life, and honor the natural world

• (We) Promote peace and justice for all peoples, empathy and compassion for all persons, and affirm the diversity of the human experience

• (We) Grow ethically and spiritually through acceptance of one another, an openness and encouragement to change, and respond with love to a changing world, never complete and never perfect.

1 Like