#448 | LeRae Niell | Change "Transformation" to "Growth"

Submission 448
LeRae Niell
Unitarian Universalist Church of Long Beach (Long Beach, CA) 2224

What is your suggestion or idea?

2.2 Values

1. Substitute the word Growth for Transformation.

2. Revise the description.
    We are open to new ideas and understandings as we adapt to a changing world.
    We covenant to grow and transform spirtually, intellectually, and ethically, while acknowledging that our wisdom is never complete and never perfect.

Here is the original description with the words which remain in the proposed revision underlined.
We adapt to the changing world. We covenant to collectively transform and grow spiritually and ethically. Openness to change is fundamental to our Unitarian and Universalist heritages, never complete and never perfect.

These words have been added:
intellectually
wisdom

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

Our main reason is to make the document more accessible and inclusive. Page 8 of the report says tthe language should be inclusive and welcoming.

the value:
The concept of growth is familiar to most people and has a positive connotation.
The meaning of transformation is much less clear.

the description:
The new wording implies a balance between our open hearts and open minds. The word transform fits nicely after grow, since transformation can mean major or even sudden growth, or perhaps a culmination of growth.
Like science, our wisdom or knowledge is never complete or perfect. It was not clear what the authors referred to as never being complete or perfect. (our heritages?) The new wording states that our wisdom is never complete and never perfect.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, the word Transformation is one of the words that bothered us the most. Wordiness, unecessarily long words and unesscessarily complex sentences were often mentioned in our comments.

Our congregation will soon compile the comments of everyone who attended the discussions, as well as the three groups and handful of individuals I was able to talk with.

It seems like “Transformation” is supposed to cover the idea of spiritual growth, what was described by the 3rd principle. However, there is no longer any language about acceptance of one another. Having an accepting community is consistently one of the most important reasons UUs go to Church.

The phrasing of the 3rd principle called for a balance between acceptance and growth, a subtlety that I think is lost in the description of transformation. I feel it’s important to have personal spiritual growth in the covenant.

2 Likes

Thank you Alec,
I did keep the word spiritually (see the boldface above), but just added intellectually. I love that we also have ethically in this section!

A group from the workshop came up with this:

Transformation. We embrace possibilities in an always changing world. We covenant to grow spiritually and ethically, accept ourselves and one another, and collectively advance transformations that embody Love. Openness to change is fundamental to our Unitarian and Universalist heritages, never complete and never perfect.

3 Likes

Thank you for including me in this conversation!

Your first sentence is much more positive and active than saying we adapt to a changing world! I think that’s a great improvement. You’ve eliminated most of the problems folks in our congregation noted, although the word Transformation was a stumbling block. I personally am more comfortable with the word transformation now, with your first sentence to introduce the concept.

In the last sentence, does the phrase “never complete and never perfect.” refer to our heritages? Reading the amendment aloud, it still seemed too long, and it felt like the words “our Unitarian and Universalist heritages” interrupted the flow.
Could we consider the third sentence reading something like
We acknowledge that ________________________is/are never complete and never perfect.

If so, what would go in the blank? (our knowledge, practice, actions, changes,etc.)

We acknowledge that the changes we make are never complete and never perfect.

Is what you sent today the “final” version you will submit?
I could share your proposed amendment Thursday night with our 4 delegates and others who are interested.
I may want to delete my “amendment” on Transformation. #448 Do you know how?

LeRae Niell

Three values instead of 6:

• Transcendence
    Central to us is to grow and develop meaning, to explore and experience the transcendent mystery and wonder of the world

• Interdependence
    All beings contribute and are necessary for the existence of each of us since we are woven together in inseparable complexity. This means, of course, that we pay attention to what is needed around us, and we are generous in the commitments that we make, and the time and financial resources that are needed.

• Respect
    For each being, held in dignity and worth, in a wondrous variety of forms and from a plurality of backgrounds and cultures, each deserving of attention, care and accommodation.

These three values:

• include interdependence, justice, generosity, equity, pluralism, and
  • ADD transcendence (rather than transformation, an article of ‘faith,’ and yet theists understand and value transcendence, I think, and
  • include worth and dignity, truth and meaning, attention (being heard, having a voice, ready to respond), care (compassion).
1 Like

Rev. Johnson,
How could we get in touch with you or this group about your group’s revision?
Transformation. We embrace possibilities in an always changing world. We covenant to grow spiritually and ethically, accept ourselves and one another, and collectively advance transformations that embody Love. Openness to change is fundamental to our Unitarian and Universalist heritages, never complete and never perfect.
Will it be proposed during the June 1- 5 window? And is there a designation (number or otherwise) so our delegates might be aware of this amendment when it is time to vote? We have an important meeting tonight and another on Sunday the 28th and I hope to have the information available for others!

Alec, Were you part of the group Matthew Johnson references on this thread on May 22? If not, are you working with others? Does the revision he posted address you concern?
Hoping to hear from you soon!
LeRae

1 Like

I was, and I think Matthew ( @uurockrev ) et. al. did a great job! It’s nice to see the convergence of these drafts.

Hi!

Rosemary, from the Cherry Hill Church, is going to submit this amendment. The last sentence is from the commission’s original proposal and we haven’t suggested changing that. Trying to keep these amendments tight. It will be assigned a number once submitted I’m sure.

Wonderful! I will relay this message to my congregation, UUCLB

@peckalec @Concerned @uurockrev @rwhite

To peckalec’s point:
"It seems like “Transformation” is supposed to cover the idea of spiritual growth, what was described by the 3rd principle. However, there is no longer any language about acceptance of one another. Having an accepting community is consistently one of the most important reasons UUs go to Church.

The phrasing of the 3rd principle called for a balance between acceptance and growth, a subtlety that I think is lost in the description of transformation."

In my opinion, Pluralism does this and much better, calling us not just to “accept ourselves and one another” but to “celebrate that we are all sacred beings diverse in experience, culture, and theology” and to “embrace our differences and commonalities with Love, curiosity, and respect.” Adding acceptance of ourselves and one another is unnecessary and it clutters the proposed revision Rev. Matthew Johnson mentions, making the second sentence quite clunky and awkward.

The balance between acceptance and growth so beautifully and powerfully expressed in the current 3rd principle is maintained in the new proposed Values in the balance between Pluralism and Transformation.

Hello again, Rev. Matthew
Has Rosemary submitted the amendment yet? Can we be sure she will? Our delegates intend to support this one rather than working further on our own. Thank you for your replies whenever I reached out to you in this process. It has been wonderful to make connections with helpful UUs like you!
LeRae Niell

Yes, she has! We’re all set. As soon as the Board publishes the submitted amendments I’ll make a sharable post about all the ones I helped work on and what number they are and such.

That’s great. Thank You!!

Note to authors and proponents of amendments that weren’t prioritized or presented: This forum is closing for comment tomorrow, but our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, will remain open for another few weeks for commenting (and still be viewable after that).

People who want to find others to coordinate about the 15-congregation amendment process may use the group to do so while it is open.

Please read both the rules and the pinned post before posting or commenting there.

Thank you.

Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook