#35 | Richard Hattwick | Add Love to the Seven Principles

Submission 35
Richard Hattwick
First Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Palm Beaches

What is your suggestion or idea?

My suggestion is to keep Section c-2-1 Principles as is with the exception of of changing the first sentence to read…

““With love as the enduring force that holds us together, we the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote””

The current Seven Principles and Six Sources would then follow just as the do in the current Section -2-1.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

I find the current Seven Principles and Six Sources to be inspired, inspirational and a practical guide for my own spiritual growth and my congregation’s implementation of the UU vision. I do not find the study commission’s proposed change to be inspiration or of practical value for use in my growth or my congregation’s work.

However, I do find the study commission’s emphasis on love to be inspirational. And my suggestion makes it possible to add the word love to our statement of the Seven Principles.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I have not discussed this idea with my congregation, but I have encouraged our board president to call a congregation meeting to discuss the proposed changes and I will present my suggestion at that meeting.

1 Like