#344 | Susan McWethy | Do not omit the original 7 Principles and 6 Sources

Submission 344
Susan McWethy
UUCA Atlanta

What is your suggestion or idea?

Do not omit the original 7 Principles and 6 Sources.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

The Principles and Sources provide an excellent foundation for a liberal religion. They are clear; they are memorable; they are meaningful.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I have discussed this with dozens of other members of my congregation. It is unanimous that people do not want to dispense with the current Principles and Purposes. Many are threatening to leave UU if these proposed changes take place.

11 Likes

Indeed. This issue is causing strife in our congregation.

2 Likes

I concur with Susan’s reason for amending the proposal to include the current principles and sources.

3 Likes

My congregation (Rutland VT) likes the Seven Principles. At least one of our most valuable members will quit the church if they are removed.

2 Likes

I agree. Everyone I’ve talked to wants to keep the seven principles and add the 8th (our congregation adopted it). Many of us like most of the wording in C.2.2 but it does not replace the 7 Principles. The proposed language should be in addition to the 7 Principles as further explanation of who we are.

2 Likes

I strongly support keeping the Principles and the Sources, which are really of a piece. In my view the Values and Inspirations are not equivalent and not an improvement.

2 Likes

Our congregation strongly agrees in keeping the 7 Principles and adding the 8th. They should be before the proposed values. Make them 2.1 and move the proposed 2.1 Purposes to be 2.6.

1 Like

I agree with the thrust of your suggestion, and as noted there are a number of similar suggestions, including mine. Because there are so many similar suggestions, and because I will be attending GA remotely, I will not move forward with an amendment of my own. I will support any amendment retaining the 7 principles.
Jerry Ross, First Parish in Bedford, MA.