#331 | Peter (Pete) Fontneau | Add "Science"

Submission 331
Peter (Pete) Fontneau
Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church (Burke, VA) 8115

What is your suggestion or idea?

C-2.2. Values and Covenant.

First paragraph, second sentence: Add the word “science” after “reason”. To read: “We draw from our heritages of freedom, reason, science , hope and courage, building on the foundation of love.”

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

The first reaction of the members of the congregation, many of them humanists, was that science was missing in the proposal’s explanation of values. Adding one word to this list addressed the inclusion of science.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes. After a Wonder Box Time for All Ages and a sermon on proposed changes to Article II, the congregation held two town halls (in person and online) for Article II change discussions. Suggestions were then referred to a working group which included all likely GA delegates. The working group refined the suggested wording.

6 Likes

In my congregation, removing the reference to science is the change that seems to bother the most people, even people who generally support the change

2 Likes

Thanks for submitting suggestion, Pete. There are several other posts in this forum having to do with science and reason, all of which are advocating for their clearer inclusion in some form or another. Check out those other posts by searching for the terms “science” and “reason” in the search tool.

1 Like

I can live with adding science as long as the amendment doesn’t imply that science holds the one & only truth, like some other amendments posted her do. That’s a creed & one of the defining aspects of our faith is that we believe in religious pluralism.

2 Likes

Science, reason, truth are all important to my own search for truth and meaning in the world. I really would like to see UU reflect that this is a subset of the people that identify as UU, reflected somewhere in Article 2. I am not in support of this complete re-write of what UU is, not without input by the congregations/members and not in this rushed, stressful timeline!

1 Like