#258 | Joel Angiolillo | Easier to Digest

Submission 258
Joel Angiolillo
First Parish in Wayland (Wayland, MA) 5132

What is your suggestion or idea?

he sentiments in Article 2 Section C-2.2 are fine, but it is too wordy. As a result it loses meaning and punch. For example, I shortened it by about 1/2 by only taking out words I felt were less necessary (and combining some passages).

As Unitarian Universalists, we covenant to assist one another in our ministries. We draw from our heritages of freedom, reason, hope, and courage, building on a foundation of love; a love that both binds us together and guides our shared values.

Interdependence. We celebrate the interdependent web of all existence. We covenant to respect and nurture the relationships among all life on Earth.

Pluralism. We celebrate our diverse experiences and theologies. We covenant to learn from one another in a free and responsible search for truth and meaning.

Justice and Equity. We celebrate our diverse multicultural community where all can flourish. We covenant to build and sustain inclusive and democratic communities.

Transformation. We celebrate our openness to change in a changing world. We covenant to collectively grow spiritually and ethically, knowing we are never complete and never perfect.

Generosity. We celebrate our spirit of gratitude and hope. We covenant to compassionately share our faith, hopes and resources; connecting us to one another.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

C-2.2 should be more memorable, easier to digest.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

No

Your wording is certainly much superior to the original. However, our 7 principles are very well time-tested, so I would only supplement them by values, as helpful and with historical context (see #65).