#2 | Casey Clowes | Remove Graphic & Add Numbers

Submission 2
Casey Clowes)
Valley UU Congregation (Chandler, AZ) 2015

What is your suggestion or idea?

Proposed modification to Section C-2.2. Values and Covenant: remove the graphic of the values.

Proposed modification to Section C-2.2. Values and Covenant: number the values.
Example: 1. Interdependence. We honor the interdependent web of all existence. . . . 2. Pluralism. We celebrate that we are all sacred beings diverse in culture,
experience, and theology. . . .

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

First, I want to thank you all for your hard work on this process and commitment to our covenantal faith.

Proposed modification to Section C-2.2. Values and Covenant: remove the graphic of the values.

I think committing to a specific graphic, colors, design, etc. for fifteen years limits future creativity of others.

Additionally, as an attorney who spends my days reviewing contracts and other legal documents, I personally find it odd to have a graphic in the Bylaws and Rules of an organization.

Proposed modification to Section C-2.2. Values and Covenant: number the values.

Example: 1. Interdependence. We honor the interdependent web of all existence. . . . 2. Pluralism. We celebrate that we are all sacred beings diverse in culture,
experience, and theology. . . .

I have heard a lot of pushback from some UUs about “getting rid of the seven principles.” While I completely disagree that this is happening, I think some of the pushback could be solved with a simple style change. By numbering the values and their accompanying covenants, I believe many UUs will be more open to the proposed language changes.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, I have talked to other UUs in my congregation and state who dislike the specific graphic and would prefer the graphic to not be part of our Bylaws and Rules.

Yes, when I propose numbering the values, UUs in my congregation and state instantly become less defensive and feel more comfortable with the overall change process when they think of the values listed with numbers.

3 Likes

I support removing the graphic. But I don’t think we need to add numbers – the Principles aren’t actually numbered in the bylaws.

I support removing the graphic. It does not add meaning. It seems to be offered as a logo or branding device, which feels commercial. We are a religious body, not a corporation. We already have the image of the chalice to serve as a symbol of our denomination, and it is graphically stronger.

1 Like

I disagree about numbers (no real opinion on the use of a graphic; not loving the entire change). One of my pet peeves is referring to the principles by number, as though there were a hierarchy.

I’m not in favour of the graphic. And I do think numbers would help. I would suggest interdependence to be #1 myself.

I agree with removing the graphic. Conversations I have had indicate that it is a current branding/marketing style and would be passé in a very short time. It doesn’t belong in the bylaws.

I’m not sure about numbering the values. That would appear to give a priority to one over the other and I would feel compelled to make equity #1. However, I feel far more strongly about the covenants, as I can’t tell which sentences belong in the covenant and which don’t. I will either find another discussion item about that or write it myself.

I agree, remove the graphic. It would take a lot of space in printing in an order of service, etc. Also, the color printing would add cost. I am undecided on whether to include numbers.

Graphic or no flower graphic similar, to me, to the use of a subset of words for each value #31. It seems there is enough comment going on about content that format might be something to hold off on and allow congregations to remedy for themselves. But, more power to the format comments.