Amendment 76 to Article II - Proposed by William Levwood

Bold underlining indicate insertion ; [brackets indicate deletion.]

Amended version of Section C-2.2. Values and Covenant lines 40-45

40 Equity. We declare that every person has the right to flourish with [inherent] dignity [and worthiness].
41 We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustain fully
43 accessible and inclusive communities. Prioritizing the leadership of the marginalized,
44 we work for a redistribution of power and wealth that creates a more equitable,
45 just, and peaceful world.

Removes “inherent” and “and” from Line 40
Removes “worthiness” from Line 41
Adds “Prioritizing the leadership of the marginalized” to Line 43
Adds “we work for a redistribution of power and wealth that creates a more equitable” to Line 44
Adds “just, and peaceful world.” to Line 45

2 Likes

I like the change in wording. I would prefer the word resources to replace money. We have members without money to give and give so much to UU in diverse ways.

Stating that every person has inherent worth is to me a fundamental UU belief and should not be omitted.

1 Like

I consulted with others in developing this amendment but could have definitely sought out more input if I had the time or energy. Anyone interested in sharing feedback to make it better I’m definitely open to hearing from you. Here is my intent with this amendment:

– to name that those directly impacted by an injustice should have the most power in any process to address that injustice, meaning in the building & sustaining of full accessible and inclusive communities.
– to add a global focus to this value that names that (1) we are committed to creating a more equitable global community and (2) that we are committed to working for the redistribution of wealth and institutional power required for that to happen.

So, with that intent, I’m definitely open to suggestions for how to word things better.

To supporters of amendments that weren’t prioritized or presented: This forum is closing for comment tomorrow, but our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, will remain open for another few weeks for commenting (and still be viewable after that).

If you want to find people to coordinate with for the 15-congregation amendment process, you may use the group to do so while it remains open. There’s now a specific post for this in the group (“A post for those wishing to do the 15-congregation amendment process to coordinate”).

Please read both the rules and the pinned post about the pending suspension of the group before posting or commenting there.