#55 | Kara Stebbins | Work Toward Healing

Submission 55
Kara Stebbins
UUFMC (UU Fellowship of Madison County)

What is your suggestion or idea?

Section
C-2.1. Purposes.

The Unitarian Universalist Association will devote its resources to and use its organizational powers for religious, educational, and humanitarian purposes. Its primary purposes are to assist congregations in their vital ministries, to support and train leaders both lay and professional, to foster lifelong faith formation, to acknowledge and work toward healing to heal historic injustices, and to advance our Unitarian Universalist values in the world.

The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members in the
transformation of the world through liberating Love.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

By amending this sentence, I am trying (1) to emphasize the need to acknowledge the problem of historic injustice before we can work on healing it, and (2) to reduce the grandiosity of thinking we can actually fully accomplish “healing.” The other verbs in this sentence are “to assist,” “to foster” and “to advance.” To be consistent with those verbs, I suggest we “acknowledge and work toward healing” injustice. Also I added “to” to all the verbs in order to be consistent.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I wrote this amendment in response to my congregation’s input while reviewing the Proposed Revision during our Sunday Service. They had objected to the idea that we know how to “heal” injustice. I later shared my suggested amendment with our congregational work group. There was general support and no objection.

1 Like