#350 | Judith Deutsch | Likes & Dislikes

Submission 350
Judith Deutsch
UU Westside Congregation, Rio Rancho, NM

What is your suggestion or idea?

I have been a Unitarian since 1952 and a UU since the 60’s, whenever the two merged.I am a UU minister emerita.
I VERY MUCH LIKE THE EXISTING PRINCIPLES AND PURPOSES, AND WANT US TO KEEP THEM.
I PARTICULARLY DISLIKE THESE PARTS OF THE SUGGESTED ARTICLE !!
Section C-2.1.Purposes, where it says:
1-to heal historic injustices—I ask, why is the word historic needed?
2-The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members in the transformation of the world through liberating Love—I maintain that the meaning of the words transformation and liberating Love are not at all clear and that the words should be eliminated.
Section C-2.5 Freedom of Belief., where it says:
1-to collectively transform-again, this is ambiguous, transformation can be good or bad

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

I have given my reasons for the dislike of certain words when I presented them above.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I have discussed this with members of my Congregation, my minister, and members of the UUJEC board on which i serve.
I agree with most of the people with whom I have discussed your proposal that it is one that grants the Congregations little autonomy and sets up a social justice activist collective, ruled from the top down, rather than a religious organization.
I am a social activist and always want the congregation to which I belong to be socially active, but I believe that the congregation should have the freedom to do what it wants, just so long as it acts in accordance with our UUA Principles and Purposes.

1 Like