#297 | Rick Holmgren | "Inviting Healing" instead of "Transformation

Submission 297
Rick Holmgren
UU Church of Meadville (Meadville, PA) 7313

What is your suggestion or idea?

Replace “the transformation of the world” with “inviting healing,”

“The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members in the transformation of inviting healing the world through liberating L love.”

The amended sentence would read, “The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members in inviting healing through liberating love.”

If we want to indicate who we are inviting healing for, we might amend this to read, “The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members in inviting healing for themselves, their communities, and their world.”

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

I suggest replacing “transformation” with something that is more evocative of the intended change. “Transformation” suggests change but does not suggest a direction. Transformation can be violent, aggressive, or abusive. Vladimir Putin’s efforts are transforming Ukraine, and our continued use of fossil fuels is transforming the climate. I know this is not the type of transformation intended by the proposed language, which is why I suggest language that is more specific to the intent.

I note that even “healing” can be violent or abusive when healing is imposed on unwilling recipients. To avoid that trap, I suggest we invite healing, so that the sentence becomes, “The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members in inviting healing through liberating love.” Others have suggested “repairing harm to our world,” which is also has a directionality and specificity that makes the intent clear.

If we want to indicate who we are inviting healing for, we might amend this to read, “The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members in inviting healing for themselves, their communities, and their world.”

Other commenters have suggested writing the “L” in Love in lower case or deleting the phrase “through liberating Love.” I believe either of these is a better choice than including love with a capital “L,” which suggests a term that is defined specifically for this text. The alternative would be to include a definition of “Love” in the text of Article II.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

We have had two meetings after Church to discuss the proposed Article II revisions. Each was attended by about 20 people, a sizable portion of our regular attendees. In the second meeting, we discussed the term “transformation” and agreed it could be problematic. There was general agreement that “healing” would be a more appropriate choice.

Wow. No, no, and no again. I am just dumbfounded with this suggestion.
The current proposed revision reads:

“Transformation. We adapt to the changing world. We covenant to collectively
transform and grow spiritually and ethically. Openness to change is fundamental to our Unitarian and Universalist heritages, never complete and never perfect.”

This revision meshes beautifully with “free and responsible search for truth and meaning” which, I believe, also finds place in the proposed values. This value of Transformation is broad, expansive, life filled.

The notion of healing presumes rampant and pervasive brokenness. Yes, surely that exists, but healing brokenness is not THE focus of UU and not the focus of our growing, changing, learning, seeking.

Ok, so you are not talking about the values but about the PURPOSE. While I may not be thrilled with the proposed purpose of the UUA, again “healing” presumes all is broken. Makes me want to turn around and exit the room. I might envision from the proposed Purpose, transformation into seeking, understanding, open questioning, affirming the inherent worth and dignity of all, etc, etc, none of which has to do with brokenness or healing. Healing has a place but not the bullseye, core purpose.

I apologize for being so assertive about this. I do apologize, but do not recant.

agreed that this is not an appropriate purpose for the UUA

1 Like

@BekWheeler Your objection to “inviting healing” makes sense to me, since it can be read as saying the world is broken. It’s not how I read it, but that’s a reasonable interpretation.

I appreciate your suggestions for replacing transformation in this central and defining statement of purpose. I am deeply concerned about using “transformation” here without further elaboration, since it can easily be more harmful than helpful. If you have a clear articulation of the UUA’s central purpose, which this sentence is clearly intended to be, that would be welcome.

And, no apologies are needed for an honest response. It does remind to offer kudos to the Article II commission for getting this process as far along as they have. Coming up with the appropriate language to express the breadth of UUism clearly is a challenging task.

I am not a fan of the value “transformation.” I don’t value transformation categorically. I see my planet transformed by climate change and industrial pollution, and that’s a disaster. Human beings are transformed by trauma, but not in a good way. This value seems to be about adapting to change in a positive way, but this feels vague to me. I keep thinking how under many conditions of adversity, strength is seen in people’s refusal to change. People refusing to recant the truth. Refusing to abandon their principles. Refusing to obey unjust laws. Maybe the value isn’t transformation so much as resilience?

@rholmgren Thank you for your kind reply. I have not worked on this aspect of the Proposed Revision, but will think about it. I do understand your concern with unmodified ‘transformation.’

@rholmgren

How about this as a possibility:

“The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members in life-filled transformation of the world as we daily live into our UU values and covenants.”

I have no idea what “liberating love” means, and it surely isn’t what motivates me… But values and covenants? Yes!

Rick, thoughts?

@BekWheeler
Modifying transformation with “life-filled” is a great solution. I might consider “life-giving transformation” as more specific.

“…live into our UU values and covenants” is a great substitution for “liberating love,” and it foreshadows the rest of the Article, which I like a lot.

@rholmgren
Oh YES! I like “life-giving transformation.” yes!

Am loving the collaboration happening here!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Note re amendments that weren’t prioritized or presented: This forum is closing for comment tomorrow, but our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, will remain open for another few weeks for commenting (and still be viewable after that).

People who want to find others to coordinate about the 15-congregation amendment process may use the group to do so while it is open. There’s now a specific post for this in the group (“A post for those wishing to do the 15-congregation amendment process to coordinate”). Please read both the rules and the pinned post before posting or commenting there.

Thanks.

Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook