#277 | Meta Thayer | Miss Substance in the Inspiration Section

Submission 277
Meta Thayer
University Unitarian Church (Seattle, WA) 8231

What is your suggestion or idea?

As Unitarian Universalists, we are inspired by the sacred and the secular, by direct experience of transcendent mystery and wonder, by words and deeds of prophetic people, by wisdom of the world’s religions, by spiritual teachings of Earth-centered traditions, and by humanist teachings. We respect the history, context, and culture in which this understanding is shared.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

I want to say that the work of this revision has been courageous and bold and I am grateful to the commission for all the collaboration and hours of work. I support the spirit of the work and the new Article II. I miss something of substance in the inspiration section. If we don’t say anything more than sacred and secular understandings, why do we have this section at all? (And if you keep the same phrase, please drop the S on understanding.) I know you can’t name all sources for all people, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t name any specific ones. If I were looking to understand more about UU, and I read this section, I would know nothing more than when I started. If you want to leave it to RE then skip this section.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I discussed this in zoom meetings when we were commenting last fall on Article II, and with individual UU friends.

3 Likes

This appears to be a specific proposal to replace Inspirations with the language provided. If that was the intention, I suggest the tag should not be “comment.”

Also, I agree, Meta, have also discussed this issue with many other UUs, and just finished posting my own proposed Amendment.