#26 | Wiley Saichek | Move or Remove "right to flourish"

Submission 26
Wiley Saichek
The Unitarian Church of All Souls NYC (New York, NY) 6422

What is your suggestion or idea?

I personally do have one wish…that the proposed statement: ““Equity. We declare that every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and worthiness””
is changed to:

““Equity. We declare that every person has inherent dignity and worthiness, and the right to flourish.””

Or simply:

““Equity. We declare that every person has inherent dignity and worthiness.””

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

I feel the current proposed change feels limited to people who may be struggling with their identity as a UU and may not feel like they are ““flourishing.””

It currently says:

““We declare that every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and worthiness””

To me it feels like there is a condition being placed and that someone is granting the flourishing. I think people have inherent dignity and worthiness REGARDLESS if they are ““flourishing.”” I think my proposed change makes the meaning and intent clearer.

““Equity. We declare that every person has inherent dignity and worthiness, and the right to flourish.””

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Not with my congregation yet but I have posted a similar comment on the UUA Facebook page.

I like this idea; much clearer in emphasizing dignity and worth (I would use worth, rather than worthiness, which is a word I don’t remember ever seeing/hearing before).

I will admit that I struggle with the word ‘inherent’ but this proposed change in the sentence structure and removal of ‘right to flourish’ is a lot easier for me to support