#109 | Barbara Jean Walsh | Replace Equity with First Principle

Submission 109
Barbara Jean Walsh
First Unitarian Society of Chicago (Chicago, IL) 3222

What is your suggestion or idea?

Page 21.
DELETE ““Equity. We declare that every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and worthiness.We covenant to use our time, wisdom, attention, and money to build and sustanin fully accessible and inclusive communities.””

REPLACE WITH CURRENT FIRST PRINCIPLE.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

Stating that people have the right to flourish is like saying all all people have the right to pursue happiness. I believe we all have inherent worth and dignity, not just the option to strive for it. This seems to promote the concept that you must prove your value. It also sets us a ““we”” and ““them”” paradigm. WE will take care of those poor souls who have not yet achieved dignity or worthiness. The second line is a call to action. What happens to UUs who do not have time, wisdom, attention, or money to invest in building ““fully accessible and inclusive”” communities? Shall they be shuffled into the ““them”” column until they can prove themselves as worthy?

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes. Have discussed with members of my current congreation and with friends who belong to other congregations.

Agree with this sntiment. I want to see the prominence of “The inherent worth and dignity of EVERY peson.”