#230 | Kara Stebbins | Wanting to Avoid Exclusion

Submission 230
Kara Stebbins
UU Fellowship of Madison County (Richmond, KY) 3726

What is your suggestion or idea?

“Include people interested in but not yet sharing our values!”

C-2.4. Inclusion. Systems of power, privilege, and oppression have traditionally created barriers for persons and groups with particular identities, ages, abilities, and histories. We pledge to replace such barriers with ever-widening circles of solidarity and mutual respect. We strive to be an association of congregations that truly welcomes all persons who share our values. We commit to being an association of congregations and that empowers and enhances everyone’s participation , especially those with historically marginalized identities .

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

The 3rd sentence is outright objectionable unless amended: it seems to imply that we may specifically exclude those who do not already share our values. There was debate in our congregation about whether to amend the phrase in the 3rd sentence to “persons who seek to learn about and share our values,” but instead we decided to simply strike out the entire phrase.

The last phrase of the 4th paragraph seemed to some of us to be repetitive, unnecessary, and even a little condescending, so we decided to remove it.

At that point it made more sense to combine the 3rd and 4th sentences, since they both have similar structures and are fairly short.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Our Fellowship had a democratic approach to the Amendment process. While a straw poll indicated a slim majority would prefer to keep Article II as it is, the other votes indicated we should try to come up with Amendments that could conceivably change some ““no”” votes to ““yes.”” We began writing this Amendment in response to input from the Fellowship during two Sunday Services. We later word-smithed a suggested Amendment with our weekly zoom group. Finally, the full Fellowship had an opportunity to review this written Amendment. No objections were voiced.

3 Likes

I’m not sure who I talk to about the fact that none of my amendments seem to have the bold and strike-throughs that I put in.

We’re correcting those issues now. The formatting doesn’t transfer and must manually be applied.

Sorry for your extra work!

Technology isn’t always as helpful as I’d like it to be.

No! I don’t accept Nazi’s and your amendment would entitle someone in my congregation to tell me that I MUST ACCEPT any Nazi that came to my congregation.