#217 | Cynthia Landrum | Graphic Unnecessary

Submission 217
Cynthia Landrum
First Parish Church Unitarian Universalist of Stow & Acton (Stow, MA) 5034

What is your suggestion or idea?

Delete the graphic/image (the depiction of the values described as ““Image Description: This image is of a chalice with and overlay of the word love over the flame, with six outstretched arms that create a circle around each of the core values and form a six petal flower shape. Each arm is a different color and clockwise they are: Interdependence (Orange), Equity (Red), Transformation (Purple), Pluralism (Dark Blue), Generosity (Teal), and Justice (Yellow).””)

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

While graphics or images or art are a wonderful way to explore Principles or Values, to place one into our bylaws is unnecessary and elevates one artistic impression over others. Artistic impressions can appeal to some and not to others, as they’re subject to artistic taste. In addition, the colors in this particular image are very trendy, but may become rapidly dated, thus dating our values prematurely.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes. I have talked to numerous colleagues and congregants. Some agree, and some disagree. More among the people I’ve discussed with feel like graphics don’t belong in the bylaws than like the addition. Some like this particular graphic, and some don’t – and that kind of proves my point.