#184 | Toni Logue | Not in favor of the Commision's Proposal

Submission 184
Toni Logue
UUCSR

What is your suggestion or idea?

I am not in favor of the Article II Study Commission’s proposal at all. I like having 7-8 principles that are easy to understand. The proposal is too convoluted and not concrete. For a religion that is so amorphous and difficult to explain to non-members, I think having simply stated principles are easier to communicate. Moreover, as a long term RE teacher, having the principles is much easier to teach as what our religion is all about and to make it more concrete for all youth of all grades to remember and understand. I think this proposal is a solution in search of a problem, frankly.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

The proposal is too convoluted and not concrete. For a religion that is so amorphous and difficult to explain to non-members, I think having simply stated principles are easier to communicate. Moreover, as a long term RE teacher, having the principles is much easier to teach as what our religion is all about and to make it more concrete for all youth of all grades to remember and understand.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Other members and our lead minister. They urged me to give my feedback to this proposal on this website link.

12 Likes

Agree. Thanks for making such a straightforward recommendation. You are not alone with the idea of just “Scrap the entire thing.”

2 Likes

Our Fellowship has expressed the same response, particularly how to explain who we are to new-comers if the values flower prevails.

1 Like

I agree: don’t revise! Not in this way and not at this time. I agree it is vague and amorphous.

1 Like

I think they should start over. I didn’t hear about this until late last year. I went to one of the Zoom sessions and I was extremely surprised they did a complete rewrite. It was uncalled for. I’ve grown to like what we have now over the last 20 some years. It was on my refrigerator, and it made me think.

I hope it gets voted down so we can have a pause and a do-over.