#171 | Linda Richardson | Present a Vision and a Goal

Submission 171
Linda Richardson
Unitarian Universalist Church of Lexington, KY

What is your suggestion or idea?

Proposed Section C-2.1 Purposes

Delete the second paragraph:

The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members in the transformation of the world through liberating love.

Replace with:

The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members to building Beloved Community through the transforming power of love.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

This is based on the 2021 GA Response Resolution, and specifically on the second paragraph which states:

““For that reason, we ask the Article ll Commission and the Board to ensure proposed changes to Article ll include in the Principles a clear and direct statement that accountable systemic anti-racist and anti-oppressive actions to build Beloved Community are part of what it means to be Unitarian Universalist.””

““Transformation of the world”” is conceptual and vague; changing this to ““building Beloved Community”” presents a vision and a goal.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I discussed this with our minister, who liked the idea of placing
““Beloved Community”” as the center goal, rather than the amorphous ““Love””.
I suggested this during one of the information sessions for the congregation to discuss the proposed changes. Others also liked this idea.

2 Likes

I really like this!

I guess I would change “Community” to “Communities.”

I also still feel the statement needs to mention supporting spiritual growth and/or freedom of belief for its members.