#167 | Laura Gilliom | Replace with "We support one another in living.."

@lagilliom Thank you for both of these latest comments. I wholly concur. I would even add that the odd phrasing “spiritual discipline of Love” sounds to me a bit like a sectarian catchphrase (especially with the capital “L”). I don’t know what it means either but it sounds like something that refers to a secret knowledge written in group jargon that a presumable “inner circle” does understand.

Joshua Pawelek wrote a sermon/blog on the topic of “Towards a Spiritual Discipline of Love” and explained the concept (essentially something that helps orient us to discover and practice loving responses in the face of hurt or harm). Yet, interestingly enough, Joshua concluded “I don’t know what this spiritual discipline of love looks like, not yet. But I do look forward to figuring it out, exploring, experimenting, testing, practicing … with you.” So, if even a proponent of the term doesn’t know what it “looks like”, does this phrasing seem like something one wants to place in the bylaws (a legal document)?

Linking here to others who have questioned that phrase: