#151 | Howard Tolley | Peace Should be Clearly Articulated

Submission 151
Howard Tolley
UU Church of Tucson (Tucson, AZ) 2021

What is your suggestion or idea?

Section C-2.2. Values and Covenant. Peace

Change: Inseparable from one another, these our shared values are:

Justice, Interdependence, Equity, Transformation, Pluralism, Generosity, Peace
Peace: We dedicate ourselves to peaceful conflict resolution, using nonviolent means wherever possible. We covenant to promote a world community with liberty, and human rights for all.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

UUs have a distinguished history of international engagement through the UU Service Committee, the Holdeen Project, Partner Church program, UN office and other initiatives inspired by our current 6th Principle and the 2010 Statement of Conscience “Creating Peace.” UU Congregations nationwide affirm that commitment with front yard poles displaying the word “peace” in different languages. Our fundamental, longstanding commitment to peace should be clearly articulated to avoid the impression that UUs no longer embrace that goal.

Phrases and terms from six of the current seven principles appear in the six values statements proposed by the A2SC. Adding Peace as a seventh value with language drawn from the current 6th Principle could help win the support of some undecided UU delegates concerned about replacing the seven principles.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I have shared this idea and supporting rationale with fifteen UUs, including Ministers and GA delegates from five UU congregations in Ohio and Arizona. Those who responded all offered strong support, and I revised the proposal and rationale after receiving helpful suggestions.

9 Likes

“Peace” might be out of fashion these days, but the goal of world peace is a noble one to which many UUs aspire

Yes, this does make sense and does fit with the UUA Statement of Conscience, “Creating Peace”. Well done!

I agree that peace should not be lost in our values. It is not that we say there should be no anger or conflict in our work for human rights, it is that we push toward peaceful means of resolution whenever possible. Peace, in the aftermath of January 6 and mass shootings seems more important than ever. It is not a naĂŻve value - there are times when we would want to support war - but it is an aspiration - a value.

1 Like

I also feel strongly about adding Peace as one of the shared values, and I like your proposed description of it, Howard. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for commenting favorably on Proposal #151 to add Peace as a value. If possible please offer support in this Thursday’s online discussion. Thanks.
Peace: We dedicate ourselves to peaceful conflict resolution, using nonviolent means wherever possible. We covenant to promote a world community with liberty, and human rights for all.** and if possible offer support in this Thursday’s online discussion.

Thanks for commenting favorably on Proposal #151 to add Peace as a value. If possible please offer support in this Thursday’s online discussion. Thanks.
Peace: We dedicate ourselves to peaceful conflict resolution, using nonviolent means wherever possible. We covenant to promote a world community with liberty, and human rights for all.

1 Like

Sorry, I’ll be in the air on Thursday and unable to attend that session, Howard, but I may be able to get the support of another delegate from our congregation who will be attending. I’ll see what I can do.

Corky Klimczak

Corky

Thanks for your email and if possible please share this with the delegate you mentioned who might be able to assist:

UU peace Proponents:

Mac Goekler, founding President of the UU Peace Member Network, uupmn.org, assisted me in revising the proposal I submitted for the A2SC discussion this coming Thursday. As a delegate from his Delaware congregation Mac will be submitting it as an Amendment. Given Mac’s UUA GA experience and A2SC contacts I hope his sponsorship will increase the likelihood of its receiving priority consideration as the Amendment process goes forward.

Turnout and support in the online discussion this coming Thursday will we believe be important in determining which of the numerous proposals being submitted are selected for priority consideration. Thus I write to ask for whatever help you can provide as a participant or by soliciting other supporters for this Thursday’s breakout sessions for folks proposing an additional value such as peace— especially since I will be at an innocence project fundraiser featuring John Grisham and only able to show up using my iPhone Zoom but without actively taking part in the discussion or break out sessions. Mac will be contacting the uupm network for support.

At a breakout session last Thursday a proponent for additional sources shared her own computer screen display of her idea and that generated considerable support during the first of three 20 minute break sessions I attended. It would be great if those supporting the addition of Peace as a value could display the accompanying 3 part proposal that Mac and I co-authored and help us identify other participants in Thursdays sessions likely to provide support. Last week I was able to save the chat from a breakout session to share with others unable to attend who wanted to identify like minded delegates for collaboration.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Peace,

Howard

Mac Goekler
UUs of Southern Delaware (Lewes DE)
UU Peace Ministry Network (President)

A three part amendment

Section C-2. Values and Covenant

Part 1

1. Add Peace to the graphic.
  2. Change: Inseparable from one another, these our shared values are:

Part 2

1. Add Value (Peace)
  2. “We dedicate ourselves to peaceful conflict resolution at all levels.”

Part 3

1. Covenant (Peace)
  2. “We covenant to promote a peaceful world community with liberty and human rights for all. Whenever and wherever possible we will use nonviolent means to achieve peace.”

UUs have a distinguished history of international engagement through the UU Service Committee, the Holdeen Project, Partner Church program, UN office and other initiatives inspired by our current 6th Principle and the 2010 Statement of Conscience “Creating Peace.” UU Congregations nationwide affirm that commitment with front yard poles displaying the word “peace” in different languages. Our fundamental, longstanding commitment to peace should be clearly articulated to avoid the impression that UUs no longer embrace that goal.

Phrases and terms from six of the current seven principles appear in the six values statements proposed by the A2SC. Adding Peace as a seventh value with language drawn from the current 6th Principle could help win the support of some undecided UU delegates concerned about replacing the seven principles.

The amendment’s two co-authors Mac Goekler and Howard Tolley (UU Church of Tucson) shared this idea and supporting rationale with over twenty UUs, including Ministers and GA delegates from nine UU congregations in Ohio, Delaware, Illinois, and Arizona. Those who responded all offered strong support, and the proposal and rationale were revised after receiving helpful suggestions. The UU Peace Ministry Network unanimously supports this amendment package.

(Attachment A2SC Peace B.docx is missing)

Corky

Thanks for your email and if possible please share this with the delegate you mentioned who might be able to assist:

UU peace Proponents:

Mac Goekler, founding President of the UU Peace Member Network, uupmn.org, assisted me in revising the proposal I submitted for the A2SC discussion this coming Thursday. As a delegate from his Delaware congregation Mac will be submitting it as an Amendment. Given Mac’s UUA GA experience and A2SC contacts I hope his sponsorship will increase the likelihood of its receiving priority consideration as the Amendment process goes forward.

Turnout and support in the online discussion this coming Thursday will we believe be important in determining which of the numerous proposals being submitted are selected for priority consideration. Thus I write to ask for whatever help you can provide as a participant or by soliciting other supporters for this Thursday’s breakout sessions for folks proposing an additional value such as peace— especially since I will be at an innocence project fundraiser featuring John Grisham and only able to show up using my iPhone Zoom but without actively taking part in the discussion or break out sessions. Mac will be contacting the uupm network for support.

At a breakout session last Thursday a proponent for additional sources shared her own computer screen display of her idea and that generated considerable support during the first of three 20 minute break sessions I attended. It would be great if those supporting the addition of Peace as a value could display the accompanying 3 part proposal that Mac and I co-authored and help us identify other participants in Thursdays sessions likely to provide support. Last week I was able to save the chat from a breakout session to share with others unable to attend who wanted to identify like minded delegates for collaboration.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Peace,

Howard

Mac Goekler
UUs of Southern Delaware (Lewes DE)
UU Peace Ministry Network (President)

A three part amendment

Section C-2. Values and Covenant

Part 1

1. Add Peace to the graphic.
  2. Change: Inseparable from one another, these our shared values are:

Part 2

1. Add Value (Peace)
  2. “We dedicate ourselves to peaceful conflict resolution at all levels.”

Part 3

1. Covenant (Peace)
  2. “We covenant to promote a peaceful world community with liberty and human rights for all. Whenever and wherever possible we will use nonviolent means to achieve peace.”

The amendment’s two co-authors Mac Goekler and Howard Tolley (UU Church of Tucson) shared this idea and supporting rationale with over twenty UUs, including Ministers and GA delegates from nine UU congregations in Ohio, Delaware, Illinois, and Arizona. Those who responded all offered strong support, and the proposal and rationale were revised after receiving helpful suggestions. The UU Peace Ministry Network unanimously supports this amendment package.

Howard Tolley
Professor Emeritus
University of Cincinnati
1698 Towerwoods Dr.
Cincinnati, OH, 45224
Cell 408 348-1181

Corky:

I hope you will support the amendment I wrote — on peace — which has been introduced by the founding director of the UU Peace Ministry Network, who served as a paid consultant to the A2SC with connections to the UUA leadership which might facilitate further consideration. That amendment is found below the link to the document for supporters to add their names for your consideration. Names must be added by tomorrow, Sunday 6/4 at 9 pm EDT and do contact any other prospective delegate supporters to add their names.

Peace,

Howard

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UaHYjB3zPBsnXANwdYE0oHO_E5FEBg6z/edit?usp=comment_email_document&ts=6479535d&usp_dm=false

Proposed Amendment – Include the line numbers and exact language proposed for your amendment if applicable. | Adding Peace as a Value
Line 17 Add: a Peace flower petal
Line 19 Replace: “six” twice with “seven”
Line 22 Add: Peace (Green)
Line 44 Add: Value Peace. We dedicate ourselves to peaceful conflict resolution at all levels.
We covenant to promote a peaceful world community with liberty and human rights for all. Whenever and wherever possible we will use nonviolent means to achieve peace.
|

• | - |

Howard Tolley
Professor Emeritus
University of Cincinnati
1698 Towerwoods Dr.
Cincinnati, OH, 45224
Cell 408 348-1181

1 Like

Hi Howard,

I will definitely vote for the amendment, and advocate that others from my congregation do the same. Sorry I missed the window for signing on to the amendment. I am in CA caring for my three young grandkids while their parents are away and the busy weekend schedule did not allow me to get to my computer. Wishing you all the best for a successful amendment!

Corky

I agree that peace is an important value. Howerever, the other values are too wordy and also not clear, so perhaps replace Transformation with Peace.

You also may want to consider lifitng up compassionate communication when as part of the covenant so it’s directly part of our lives, such as “We covenant to strive to use compassionate communication when in disagreement and to promote wold community …etc”

1 Like

I agree that Peace should be added to the proposed article 2 changes. Looking outward to the world community is essential as well.
Other have also suggested - and I completely agree - that Peace might replace Transformation as part of the Values and Covenant.