#126 | Alice Diebel | Respect Values Instead of Share

Submission 126
Alice Diebel
Miami Valley UU Fellowship (Dayton, OH) 6838

What is your suggestion or idea?

From proposed Section C-2.4. Inclusion. The sentence, ““We strive to be an association of congregations that truly welcome all persons who share our values.”” I recommend changing it to: ““We strive to be an association of congregations that truly welcomes all persons who are in sympathy with our values.”” OR ““We strive to be an association of congregations that truly welcomes all persons who respect our values.””

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

Many newcomers don’t know if they share our values. When we speak of welcome and inclusion, we may find that ““sharing”” values comes with time. I think we might be in sympathy with or respect our values. I also added an ““s”” on welcome because it would be an association that welcomes, not an association that welcome.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, with the UU Congregation of Petoskey and St. John’s UU Church in Cincinnati. Quite a few people feel ““sharing our values”” goes too far.

4 Likes

I appreciate your slight change on this statement. I think it works well.

1 Like

I made the same suggestion (change “share” to “respect”) in a previous feedback opportunity and still affirm this change.

2 Likes

I agree with the word “respect”

1 Like