Responsive Resolution: UUA General Assembly Support for October 7 Hostages

I’m not sure what “recognition of only the harm on one side without regard for the other” is referring to. I don’t see that in the president’s report.

Some commenters here sound like they are lifting this up as a more general response to anti-Semitism inside and outside of the faith, but an RR can’t do that as far as I understand - it’s just about what happens at GA, and if we wanted this to generally be a call against anti-Semitism (which I think many more people would support than will support this) it would have needed to have been submitted as an AIW.

Edit:
I just confirmed that this RR has to be in response to the report only, so it shouldn’t be voted on as if it’s an AIW against anti-Semitism generally (which I and hopefully all UUs condemn), but only as a critique of the president’s report.

The rules of procedure talk about RRs here in more detail: [AMENDED] UUA General Assembly 2024 Rules of Procedure

“*Responsive resolutions are brief, advisory statements that express the sentiment of the delegates. They must be in response to a substantive portion of a report by an officer or committee reporting to a regular General Assembly. Responsive resolutions are not binding and do not set policy for the Association. They may not act as a substitute for other types of business items, such as business resolutions, budget motions, study/action issues, bylaw amendments, or actions of immediate witness. *”

4 Likes