Equity: Every person is inherently worthy – Wheeler (amendment to Article II, which will be placed on the final agenda)

Things are going well; I can look at family photos through Mom’s Facebook account—at some point, I will have to find a way in, but I am wary of doing more than looking at her account once she opens it, for fear that whatever I did will give her Facebook problems as well.
I do like your amendment; in fact, I think all the amendments are improvements to the original proposal, I wish that the UUA had left this portal open for the important discussion of the proposal, as they encouraged Yes votes by saying that it would enable us to continue the discussion, but did not provide a specific UU means for such discussion.

wow, right you are!!! wow! Well, the portal thing here is open now. I’ve been surprised by how quiet things are – how little conversation there is. I know a number of us have written the UUA asking for springtime zoom sessions to discuss amendments. There aren’t any scheduled as of this time.

There is a series of discussions set up as “UU the Conversation”, described on their site as UU the Conversation is a grassroots initiative of individual Unitarian Universalists. It is not affiliated with any UU congregation, fellowship, or organization.

I encourage all to check out the site, https://uutheconversation.org/, and register for the town hall meetings.

Yes, all us amendment writers are serving on a panel for the first one of these conversations.

1 Like

I like this amendment as it reads so much better than the proposed language in the A2. Thank you to all for your work on this.

1 Like

Oh! Thank you so much. Yes. It really flows much more fluidly. Thank you. I dearly hope this amendment passes!!!

1 Like

Resharing here under correct amendment: I strongly support the Wheeler amendment for several reasons - it is totally alignment with the A2 charge (some folks might appreciate reading or rereading it Charge to the Article II Study Commission | UUA.org) and the wording of the amendment actually reads better than the A2’s language - literally forming better in my mouth and sounds more poetic and it feels better in my BIPOC UU heart as I read it.

"Leilani, I am humbled and honored by your words on how right my 2024 (Wheeler) Equity Amendment feels to you. If the GA this summer parallels that from last summer for amendments (Sponsor speaks, Commission speaks if they oppose, Pro comments, Con comments), I hope you will speak in favor. Your words are very powerful. And by the way, Rev. Cheryl Walker has stated in an open UU meeting that she will not oppose Wheeler Equity 2024. I am deeply grateful that “it feels better in [your] BIPOC UU heart as [you] read it.”

With profound gratitude,
In community
Bek Wheeler"

Please feel free to reach out to me when GA is closer if you need pro speakers. I’m working on my support of an AIW so I’m not sure how things will shake out time-wise/speaking-wise and I may feel that I need to speak to concerns with others. So hard to do all the things. Warmly, Leilani

1 Like

Thank you. I am grateful and I understand that you may be otherwise committed, needing to speak on other issues. I will stay in touch.

In community,

Bek

1 Like