Amendment 39 to Article II - Proposed by Denise Frizzell

Bold underlining indicate insertion ; [brackets indicate deletion.]

C-2.6. Earth Solidarity.

Earth,
our beautiful blue boat home, is in great peril. Humanity, all sentient beings,
and nature itself face numerous unprecedented challenges to life as we now know
it and take for granted. Climate change, mass extinction of species,
desertification, deforestation, massive die-off of coral reefs, and pollution
threaten to disrupt the delicate balance of ecosystems on which we all depend.
At this historical and evolutionary crossroads, where every choice matters, we
are called to bridge our differences and call upon our shared heritage,
principles, and values to unite as Unitarian Universalists to transform ourselves
and our consumer culture and invest in real solutions at every level of society
for a thriving common future for all life.

3 Likes

I love this statement and wish it could be included. I would like to know you Denise. You spoke to my heart.

1 Like

a gem, I personally like this. I would support it if it’s spontainiously finds support. This goes somewhere if not into article II.

I also loved this amendment, and maybe it can be something else next year, if not an amendment.

Also, I understand that this site will be locked on Tuesday. Our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, created for discussing Article II and GA, will remain open for commenting a couple weeks longer (and still be visible for viewing as a public record afterwards).
Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook

Anyone who wishes to use the Blue Boat Passengers group for finding each other and coordinating to do the 15-congregation amendment process may do so while the group remains open (must follow group rules).

Here are some comments about the 15-congregation amendment process, from Donald Wilson, who used to be on the GA Planning Committee:

"“Unlike how the amendment process was run for this GA (ie at the discretion of the moderators and board), the process you’ve mentioned is bylaw and subject to little to no interpretation. I wouldn’t wait however. You need to get the petition from the UUA Board Secretary in the next couple weeks, and you have to have it turned Into the Board before February 1st.”

“You don’t even have to have a congregational vote. You just have to get their board to sign off.” ETA: You must check this–rules vary by congregation. Also, look for the UU Governance Lab group on Facebook to connect with Donald Wilson directly.

Also, a comment from another member who was participating on Discuss:
“Some of us are connecting on Slack, mainly to remain in contact with others interested in specific amendments or the amendment process in general at GA 2024.”

https://join.slack.com/…/zt-1y0pvelub-YVxUFoPpTrZ…