Amendment 29 to Article II - Proposed by Jim Hall

Bold underlining indicate insertion ; [brackets indicate deletion.]

1. Insert a new Section C-2.3 as follows:

Section C-2.3. Principles and Covenant.

In accordance with our values, we Unitarian Universalists further covenant to affirm and
promote

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
• Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
• Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our
congregations;

• A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
• The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our
congregations and in society at large;

• The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
• Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

2. Renumber Sections C-2.3, C-2.4 and C-2.5 as Sections C-2.4, C-2.5 and C-2.6
respectively

3. In Section C-2.1 add the words “and the universal realization of our Values and
Principles” to the end of the last sentence of the Section, so that the sentence reads:

“The purpose of the Unitarian Universalist Association is to actively engage its members
in the transformation of the world through liberating Love and the universal realization of
our Values and Principles.

4. Insert the words “and principles” after “values”
• in the second sentence of Section C-2.1
• at the end of the first sentence of (renumbered) Section C-2.4
• at the end of the third sentence of (renumbered) Section C-2.5

5. Amend the title of Article II to be “Article II Purposes, Values, Principles and
Covenant”

2 Likes

My amendment provides for the inclusion of both our existing Article II “Principles and Purposes” and the proposed “Purposes and Covenant” into a new and more comprehensive Article II that could be entitled “Purposes, Values, Principles and Covenant”.

Our “Seven Principles” are a succinct statement of our fundamental beliefs that, as President Susan Frederick-Gray has asserted, “We know and love.” I urge they be retained in our new Article II.

I also see the compelling reason and desirability of basing Article II on the “Purposes and Covenant” with their theological focus on “Love” as “the enduring force that holds us together” and that “inspires and powers” our Values of Justice, Generosity, Transformation, Pluralism, Equity, and Interdependence.

There is nothing at all inconsistent with our long-standing Principles and the draft Values with their core spiritual foundation of Love. Reflecting diverse sources of our faith, they clearly express complementary – and reinforcing – ways for us to more fully proclaim our Unitarian Universalist beliefs.

To me, the Seven Principles especially speak well to those outside our denomination. They deal in meaningful, humanistic terms with matters of critical importance in today’s world and assert unambiguously where we stand, e.g.: “The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process…in society at large”; “The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all”; “Acceptance of one another”; “Respect for the interdependent web of all existence”; “The inherent worth and dignity of every person”; “Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations”. The Principles make for a good, concise “elevator speech”. They let all know that we UUs support “a free and responsible search for truth and meaning”.

And it is by striving for the universal realization of our human rights principles and values, together with our liberating love, that we can transform the world.

With their different emphases, the Principles with the Values more comprehensively convey our welcome to and inclusion of people of all backgrounds and persuasions who believe in our common convictions. There is every reason not to have an unnecessary, potentially divisive debate and choice between the two. Both should be a part of a new – and improved! – Article II. My proposed amendment accomplishes the combination of the two by placing the Principles as a new section C-2.3 with the stated recognition that they are in accordance with our section C-2.2 Values.

I agree with your rationale for including both principles and values in an improved Article II, but I disagree with the new purpose of the commission’s statement, so I am good with all here other than Item 3, for which I would rather see a different change.

I concur with adding back the Current Section C-2.1 “Principles”; however, the Proposed Revision is not an improvement over our existing Section C-2. If it were, we would be delighted and thrilled to endorse it.

The following fifteen amendments also seek to add the current Article II, Section C-2.1 “Principles” (with some modifications) to the Proposed Revision:
#2 - Kenneth Button
#3 - Eric Burch
#9 - Merridy McDaniel
#29 Jim Hall
#41 Dick Burckhart
#44 Nancy Henley
#49 Kara Stebbins
#58 Patrick Deak
#59 Lurine DeVos
#61 Jan Radoslovich
#66 Pablo deVos-Deak
#78 Marsha Bates
#79 Chris Stotler
#83 Linda Richardson
#84 Becky Sandman

Thank You, Jim for proposing this. I will support whatever amendment has the most ability to place the 7 principles back into article II.

To presenters or promoters of amendments that weren’t prioritized or presented or who wish to collaborate on new ones: This forum is closing for comment tomorrow, but our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, will remain open for another few weeks for commenting (and still be viewable after that).

If you want to find people to coordinate with for the 15-congregation amendment process, you may use the group to do so while it remains open. There’s now a specific post for this in the group (“A post for those wishing to do the 15-congregation amendment process to coordinate”).

Please read both the rules and the pinned post about the pending suspension of the group before posting or commenting there.

Thanks.

Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook