[AMENDED] Proposed AIW - Centering Love Amidst the Ongoing Impact of COVID-19

Hi Chris,

This AIW does not require a return to mask mandates. Previous comments discuss this, but the language will be clarified in the final revision.

Regarding your point comparing COVID to the flu, I invite you to reconsider your implied assertion that the flu is harmless. Unfortunately, higher-risk populations are still killed and disabled by viral infections and post-viral complications, including COVID and the flu. Our team believes that UUs are called to reconsider how our culture has normalized the disposability of higher-risk groups of people for the sake of returning to a status quo we learned to shift throughout the COVID state of emergency.

Finally, I would like to draw your attention to this newly released report from The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine on Long COVID: A Long COVID Definition: A Chronic, Systemic Disease State with Profound Consequences | The National Academies Press

Thank you for your consideration,

Meghan

5 Likes

A point was missed. I invite you to reflect on identity politics. Masks were targetted by COVID deniers. Could there be a reaction motive for this AIW? Are we holding up the mask as a uniform for UUā€™s? A rightous badge of our identity? If so I would urge people to not play this political game. Not discussing the science pointed me to this conclusion. Let it not be so. Thanks for the paper on Long COVID, but it is not relevent to this discussion.

The Recording, Transcript, and Chat Transcript from the Feedback Session are available.

1 Like

Grateful to the folks who are bringing this AIW, and Iā€™m looking forward to voting in support of it.

My congregation was probably one of the last to give up a full mask mandate. We built an outdoor amphitheater space early in the pandemic and held all worship there until Christmas Eve 2023. Through a thoughtful and inclusive discernment circle process, we crafted a policy for determining where we worshipā€“indoors or outdoors. We no longer require masking but we maintain mask-only sections in our indoor and outdoor worship spaces, and explicitly encourage a culture of mask-normalizing. Iā€™m really proud of how weā€™ve handled thisā€“I think it has protected a lot of folks.

7 Likes

What is the status of this AIW at this point? Is the material under ā€œPoster1ā€ at the top the edited version which reflects the input received to date? (Iā€™m mostly confused about process more than content ā€“ does the update replace the original wording in its location at the top, rather than appear farther down based on when it was updated?) Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi Rick, The final text is under Poster1. The top section remains mostly unchanged. The bulk of the changes are in the second half of the document.

Hi Rick,

Also, itā€™s not obvious because itā€™s at the bottom of the long initial post, but there is this note:

Update 6/14: The Proposer of this AIW agreed to some changes to the text received at the listening session. The text above has been altered to reflect any changes. Additionally you can view the revision history on any post by clicking on the pencil icon Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 12.29.36 PM found at the top right of the post.

Nice that this system tracks changes! But isnā€™t immediately intuitive, either.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Rick Marshall
he/him/his

MarshallGrande@yahoo.com

1 Like

Not immediately intuitive - you got that right! Thanks for the insight (and by the way, great to hear from you - hope you and Ada are well).

1 Like

UUs for a Just Economic Community, UUJEC, has endorsed this proposed AIW. [Hereā€™s our endorsement]

UUJEC has three task forces: Reparations for Racist Crimes, Healthcare and the Green Task Force, including the militaries huge, unaccounted for carbon footprint. COVID has left a lot of our bodies damaged in ways we will unlikely ever recover from.

2 Likes

Thank you for this endorsement, UUJEC!

Yes, mortality from SARS-CoV-2 related to the acute infection is down compared to the early days of the pandemic. But that doesnā€™t mean infection, especially repeated infection, isnā€™t dangerous. There is plenty of evidence that COVID causes long-term damage, being associated with an increase in many bad outcomes, such as heart disease, strokes, dementia, and the disabling condition known as long COVID.

The page of the NIH (National Institutes for Health) website titled ā€œThe Long-Term Effects of SARS-CoV-2 on Organs and Energyā€ begins with the words ā€œSARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, can damage the lungs, heart, brain, kidneys, and blood vessels.ā€

The information is there if you want to look for it, including in peer reviewed scientific publications.

4 Likes

Normalizing masking also helps to prevent transmission of many other kinds of respiratory infection, in addition to Covid-19: influenza, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), human parainfluenza (HPIV), and others. These respiratory illnesses can be dangerous for people with other medical conditions, those who are older or very young, those who are immunocompromised, and so on. Normalizing masking helps to create safer spaces that are welcoming to all people. Improving ventilation and air purification also helps create safer spaces. The actions in this AIW for congregations and the UUA will help promote science-based public health strategies in our communities.

3 Likes

thank you so much. Thru the Directory I found 2 groups I didnā€™t know existed that my congregation can definitely partner with to work on this AIW.

3 Likes

Amazing!!! Iā€™m so glad!!!

Yes, had never heard of the ā€œBlocsā€ and I spent 30 years in public health, tho not in infectious disease. I was told that was 19th century public health when I was training. 10 years later AIDS hit, and the rest is history. Thank you again for all your hard work on this, I never would have thought to do it!

5 Likes

Thank you, Janet! It has been a labor of joy and hope :heart:

In North Carolina, legislators almost instituted a total ban on all masks, EVEN for people with medical reasons. A shift of a very few legislators has now has allow for a few medical exceptions. I am, however, not sure if that exception is wide enough to give anyone the choice to wear a mask. It seems to have been inspired, for some, at least partially, to punish students protesting for Palestinians, a few of whom wore masks.

3 Likes

All the masks bans are so terrifying for folks like myself who are disabled and need to mask to participate in public life and I was masking for years before this pandemic.

I would send loving vibes to all my disabled UU siblings as this AIW is discussed in case there is any ableist or other harmful types of language or sharing from the speaker lines. Please take care of yourselves and protect your joy <3

3 Likes

This is so important! Thank you, Leilani! <3