[AMENDED] Final Proposed Revision to Article II, as Completed by the Article II Study Commission in October 2023

I think this is true as well,

How do you ask the moderators / parliamentarian to clarify what a NO vote means?

This would clearly be the best thing since the parliamentarian is the last word on interpretation of procedure / bylaws.

Please let us know, if they agree to clarify this.

1 Like

With respect, I cannot fathom how you do not recognize that UUA is unabashedly putting their chosen identity groups “…up on pedestals and handing them [disproportionate] power.”

How does this nurture beloved community?

Discussing after it’s too late? That doesn’t give me confidence in this process.

1 Like

Speaking for myself - there is no ‘them’ and ‘us’ and no one is being put up on pedestals. For instance, using the progressive stack and allowing the first two speakers to be from a “chosen identity groups” still means that the majority of speakers will likely not be from the “chosen identity groups” but from those of us who make up 80% of UU’s. What power are you afraid is being taken from “us” and given to “them”?

2 Likes

Hi Zoe,
I thoroughly understand what dominant culture means.

I also understand the significance of connotations of words and phrases. “White supremacy culture” has connotations that become more toxic by the day. To characterize Unitarian Universalism as “swimming in white supremacy culture” is misleading and unfair.

Cultural change is slow, and our country is currently experiencing a tragic setback in the progress that was achieved in recent decades. We cannot deny that identity groups have made progress in recent decades. Not enough. But—to repeat—change is slow.

Bogging UU down in absurd definitions and performative actions is not progress. There is too much actual work to be done.

Also, how can you deny that our current work emphasizes skin color? Have you listened to the introductions? Are you aware that events are held exclusively for persons of color?

I’m 100% in favor of the “long, deep, heart to heart conversations” you suggest, but they do not require throwing out our current identity as a liberal faith.

There does need to be more balance. In an effort to provide safe spaces, it has gone a bit far because there aren’t spaces for people to come together. In the Central East Region they used to have a monthly zoom for everyone to just stop in. Now there are only ones for BIPOC and LGBT+. The one for everyone was replaced with training (skill up?). Considering the factset survey said we are over 80% white and more non LGBTQ+, and over 50% of us are over 65. There should be something for the rest of the people.

The specialty groups were considered stakeholders for AII commission solicitation of input, but not white, non-lgbtq+ members of congregations.

Why did you assume that I’m afraid of power being taken away? That wasn’t the issue, and it was harmful for you to assert that about me.

I don’t agree that providing safe spaces has gone too far but I agree it would be nice to have mixed spaces. I attended GA in person last year with another member of my congregation and she participated in DRUMM gatherings and she really appreciated that space but it would have also been nice to have spaces set aside that we could have gone together to participate in discussions - whether by topic, region or simply to chat about nothing in particular.

1 Like

I apologize if I misunderstood, You mentioned that certain identity groups are being handed disproportionate power and I took that to mean they are being handed power previously held by others and that this is not a good thing. Perhaps that was an incorrect interpretation?

1 Like

By far, I didn’t mean we shouldn’t have safe spaces, only that we shouldn’t just have safe spaces. We need something to include everyone.

Thank you for acknowledging my feelings. I don’t care about power per se, but I do want a good cross-section of opinions to be heard.

This is not necessarily a Pro or Con statement. In fact it’s more of a Yin/Yang statement :slight_smile:

I value BALANCE.
I value Interdependence AND I also value Independence.
I value Pluralism (aka diversity) AND I also value Unity.
I value Transformation (aka change) AND I also value Stability.
I value the Power of liberating Love and Generosity AND I also value Humility.
I value Lived Experience AND I also value Reason.
I value Justice AND I also value Peace.
I value systemic DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) policies AND I also value the day-to-day work of helping one another feel we Belong.

3 Likes

I reread A2 last night and loved it even more. Thank you so much to the commission for kicking it off a few years ago with open mixed spaces like the theological panel series, open mixed office hours, and the many mixed sessions you offered for all of UUs who were paying attention to this process spaces to discuss our various views on A2 and its various drafts along this multiple year process.

I also really enjoyed some of the non-A2SC sessions I attended that were mixed and open sessions with CLF and of course at GA. There was only one BIPOC only session on A2 that I know of, I would have enjoyed more.

For folks who don’t understand the need for those few BIPOC UU spaces, I recommend Allies for Racial Equity and the book, Widening the Circle as a learning opportunities. My loving supporting white genderqueer spouse attended the ARE space while I kicked off GA with a DRUUMM event.

3 Likes

And a thing to add as an educator: the structure of the proposed Article II is much easier to remember and communicate across age groups. Rather than having long phrases that we then modify to make easier for younger children to understand (which are still too many), we start with seven words and expand from there.

5 Likes

I totally agree Jim. I feel that there are so many fun ways to communicate this with our kids in RE. I volunteer teach in RE and as our RE Equity, Inclusion and Creativity Advocate and am very excited to bring A2 (like the Lego curriculum) to our kids. I haven’t really presented anything to them until hopefully it passes except sharing the two free A2 coloring books off the A2 resource page.

3 Likes

Seriously? The fact that we start with the worth and dignity of every human being, number 1. Then the other principles and sources—none support such bigotry and violence, or I for one, and many of my fellow members, would not be here.

1 Like

I have not read all the comments, but by-laws are NOT supposed to be RE curricula! There is a whole team of great folks who do that, and our current principles and sources area not to be treated as creeds etched in stone. The values circle may be a great teaching device—but should it be part of Article II of our by-laws? If so, is it as inclusive as we would like? I am not ready to say Yes to either of those questions.

Questioning authority means simply asking questions: Asking questions is essential to critical thinking, learning, and being a curious human. The opposite of questioning authority is blind obedience to authority.

I hope a core value UU and RE is teaching children is to ask questions, including of authority, church leaders, ministers, and teachers. Everyone, both children and adults, should be taught critical thinking skills.

What is critical thinking?

Also, ‘a cadre of little Dylan Roots’ is a slippery slope logical fallacy argument: “If we allow children to ask questions of authority, we will be creating racist mass murders.”

2 Likes

I have written to gaonlinesupport and a couple of other possible addresses. (My e-mail to modsquad bounced, as that address does not accept incoming mail from those not in the group—not an issue, they need a workspace e-mail address—but not a success.)