#98 | Sheri Thomas | Keep First Principle

Submission 98
Sheri Thomas
Channing Memorial Church, UU (Ellicott City, MD) 4040

What is your suggestion or idea?

Keep: ""Promote the inherent worth and dignity of every person.

Delete: “”…every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and worthiness.“”

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

In my newly-published disability memoir, IMBALANCED, I write about how our first principle inspired me to become a national disability advocate. ““After being diagnosed as ““mentally retarded””* (*words not acceptable today) as a toddler (in the early 1960s) and facing so much discrimination throughout my life because of my disability, how could I not love a religion that believes in promoting the inherent worth and dignity of every person?””

I believe these words specifically, “”…promote the inherent worth and dignity of every person,“” our current 1st principle, should remain unchanged and be the first value we covenant as Unitarian Universalists under the proposed Article II revision.

As a person with a physical disability and a mental health condition, and as someone who speaks to UU congregations about why it is so important to actively promote ““the inherent worth and dignity of every person,”” the precise-ness of these words matter.

These words showcase a religion that is strong and proactive. They, for me and many others, are a call to action.

I would much rather be part of a religion that actively promotes the inherent worth and dignity of every person, than one that passively accepts that ““every person has the right to flourish with inherent dignity and worthiness.””

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

Yes, I discussed this idea with
my minister and other congregation members during a discussion on the proposed Article II changes. There responses were positive to my idea, and most agreed with my idea/response.

3 Likes

Thank you! This statement of the first principle – belief in “The inherent worth and dignity of every person” is what drew me to Unitarian Universalism when my daughter with a disability was excluded from religious activity in other denominations. I , too, woudl like to see its wording remain and be front and center.
Claire

1 Like