#405 | Ben Ogilvie | Changes to Love

I really like this last version. Thank you!

1 Like

This is a very exciting discussion–both for the immediate task of agreeing on the exact language of article II and for the ongoing theological task of figuring out what we mean when we say that love is the heart of our faith. For me, the important theological affirmation is that the “love story” begins long before my individual story, and even before our shared story as humanity. It is part of the fabric of reality. When someone walks into our congregations, I’d like the first message they hear to be “you are loved,”–even though I’d also like them to hear the message, “you are accountable to love other beings.” “You are loved” was really the core message of our Universalist predecessors, somewhat occluded at the time of consolidation by the characteristically Unitarian emphasis on love as duty and work.

I think this proposed amendment gets closer to this than the version proposed by the Article II study commission, which in turn gets closer than than the 1985 version of article II. But I still find myself wishing that we could even further in affirming a love that is bigger than us!

3 Likes

@danmckanan I love this! Esp When someone walks into our congregations, I’d like the first message they hear to be “you are loved,”–even though I’d also like them to hear the message, “you are accountable to love other beings.” That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to say.

I appreciate this historical perspective:
“You are loved” was really the core message of our Universalist predecessors, somewhat occluded at the time of consolidation by the characteristically Unitarian emphasis on love as duty and work.

And the idea that [love] is part of the fabric of the reality is something to ponder.

Thank you, Dan!

2 Likes

Note to authors and proponents of amendments that weren’t prioritized or presented. This forum is closing for comment tomorrow, but our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, will remain open for another couple weeks for commenting (and still be viewable after that).

Anyone who wants to find others to coordinate about the 15-congregation amendment process may use the group to do so while it is open, but please read both the rules and the pinned post before posting or commenting there. Thank you.
Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook