#399 | The Unitarian Universalist Animal Ministry | Changes to Interdependence

Submission 399
The Unitarian Universalist Animal Ministry
Unitarian Universalist Animal Ministry

What is your suggestion or idea?

Replace Interdependence section with:
Interdependence. In humility, we honor the sacred interdependent web of all existence.With reverence, we covenant to protect Earth and liberate all beings from human exploitation, by creating relationships of care and justiceWith reverence, we covenant to protect Earth and liberate all beings from human expeating relationships of care and justice.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

Unitarian Universalist Animal Ministry supports the broadening of this section to all beings and believes it is in keeping with our liberal faith tradition to protect animals from human imposed suffering.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

UUAM supporters, staff, and board members support this proposal.

1 Like

As Executive Director of the UU Animal Ministry (UUAM), I join the UUAM Board in being quite invested in this portion of Article II! I reviewed the 33 comments submitted on discuss.uua.org that made mention of “all beings,” “creatures,” or “animals.” I grouped them into categories, took them all seriously, and shared my analysis with the UUAM Board. What follows is the version that the UUAM Board and I are currently supporting:

Interdependence. In humility and reverence, we honor the interdependent web of all existence.
We covenant to protect Earth and all beings from exploitation, creating relationships of mutuality and justice.

I look forward to connecting with other delegates who are invested in this issue. Let’s discuss!

-Rev. John Gibb Millspaugh, Executive Director
UU Animal Ministry

2 Likes

Today I submitted the following amendment:

Interdependence. We honor the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part. With humility and reverence, we covenant to protect Earth and all beings from exploitation, creating and nurturing sustainable relationships of repair, mutuality and justice.

I hope that people will support it when it posts here to discuss.uua.org! Thanks all.

1 Like

I fully support this amendment. I especially appreciate the change from “cherish” to “protect”. Protect is a much more active verb with accountability built in. I cherish the earth for its beauty but that doesn’t mean I necessarily do anything to prolong its survival-i.e. protect it.

Although the final product is not what I was looking for exactly, I’m a supporter of moving this amendment forward. Pete Fontneau Accotink UUC, Burke, VA

I fully support this amendment.

Thanks, John. I fully support the work that you and UU Animal Ministries has done on this amendment. It is an important topic.