#389 | Deborah Strube | Naming systems of oppression

Submission 389
Deborah Strube
UU Fellowship of Winston Salem (Winston Salem, NC) 6723

What is your suggestion or idea?

Current wording

Justice. We work to be diverse multicultural Beloved Communities where all thrive. We covenant to dismantle racism and all forms of systemic oppression. We support the use of inclusive democratic processes to make decisions.

Justice. We work to be diverse multicultural Beloved Communities where all thrive.

We covenant to dismantle all forms of cultural and systemic oppression, including but not limited to racial, ethnic, religious, sexual orientation, gender, etc. We support the use of inclusive democratic processes to make decisions.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

To best describe my feeling for the need to change the wording in “Justice”: I believe rewording to be beneficial. To single out systemic oppression highlighting racism does not go far enough I am suggesting we add all forms of cultural and systemic oppression, including but not limited to racial, ethnic, religious, sexual orientation, gender, etc

. I am watching the current political environment both nationally and worldwide, where race, religious, ethnic, sexual orientation and other discrimination is used to divide and create systemic oppression . Devisiveness.is what we should be aware of and try to avoid. “The term systemic oppression refers to the mistreatment of people of a specific group that is supported and enforced by society and its institutions” . It can be formal or implicit, and appears in many forms, including racism, religion, ethnicity, national origin and sexism.

Personally observing the recent singling out and rise of anti semitism in this country and elsewhere (hostility to, prejudice towards, or discrimination against Jews); I feel religious and ethnic prejudice and discrimination as in the past can lead to systemic oppression. (Jews have faced centuries of systemic oppression- As early as 605 BCE, Jews who lived in the Neo-Babylonian Empire were persecuted and deported.) The Uyghurs, the largest minority ethnic group in China’s north-western province are victims of systemic oppression.

I suggest adding “cultural” due to noting “The concept of ‘ethnicity’ contrasts with that of ‘race’ in that it is concerned with group cultural identity or expression whereas ‘race’ focuses on physical and biogenetic traits.”

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I have spoken to a delegate, director of religious education, member of the board and the minister.

2 Likes

In further followup to my comments to amend the proposed Article II Justice; My rational includes the need to protect separation of church and state. Americans United supports my belief … "Church-state separation is the foundation of religious freedom in the United States, protecting many of our most fundamental rights: LGBTQ equality, reproductive freedom, inclusive public education, and more. )

What about disability and class issues?

1 Like

I understand that a further listing of addtional categories would not be favored by the UU , but I support the change from covenant to pledge to work , and list to reorder **all forms of systemic oppression including racism ; as listing all forms of systemic oppression recognizes that other categories such as ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation , reproductive freedom etc is on the rise in this country and around the world. and yes disability and class issues

I see an announcement that these threads on this site will be closed in about 8 hours. Our public lay-led Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, created for discussing Article II and GA, will remain open for commenting a couple weeks longer (and still be visible for viewing as a public record afterwards). Those who wish to comment there may do so. Please be sure to review the rules and the announcement about the planned suspension of the group before commenting. Thank you.
Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook

Those who want to use the group during the remaining time it is open for comment to coordinate for the 15-cdongregation amendment process may do so.

Here are some comments about the 15-congregation amendment process, from Donald Wilson, who used to be on the GA Planning Committee:
"“Unlike how the amendment process was run for this GA (ie at the discretion of the moderators and board), the process you’ve mentioned is bylaw and subject to little to no interpretation. I wouldn’t wait however. You need to get the petition from the UUA Board Secretary in the next couple weeks, and you have to have it turned Into the Board before February 1st.”

“If one congregation has a thought, send an email to 50 others and say “we are discussing X. What do you think?”
That is also the kind of thing that we have District and Regional assemblies for, both in person and virtual.
That is also the type of thing your religious professionals should be talking about at their regular meetings with their colleagues like minister Association chapter meetings.
It is the responsibility of your board president and other trustees to be deeply aware of the affairs of your closest congregations.
You discover by being in relationship and talking to one another.
You coordinate by email and phone call, same as we have for the last quarter century.”

“You don’t even have to have a congregational vote. You just have to get their board to sign off.” ETA: You must check this–rules vary by congregation. Also, look for the UU Governance Lab group on Facebook to connect with Donald Wilson directly.

Also, a comment from another member who was participating on Discuss:
Some of us are connecting on Slack, mainly to remain in contact with others interested in specific amendments or the amendment process in general at GA 2024.

https://join.slack.com/…/zt-1y0pvelub-YVxUFoPpTrZ…