#326 | Tom Owen-Towle | Add "Give them not hell but hope and courage..."

Submission 326
Tom Owen-Towle
First UU Church of San Diego

What is your suggestion or idea?

Section C-2.2 Values and Covenants
p. 19 Between the first and second paragraphs, add these words:

Love is central to both wings of our progressive religion. Unitarianism was founded upon the claim: “not to think alike but to love alike” and Universalism centers upon the assertion: “give them not hell but hope and courage…and preach the kindness and everlasting love of God.”

The signature chant by UU’s Elizabeth Norton (music) and Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker (words) frames our Unitarian Universalist gospel:

“There is a love holding me. There is a love holding all that I love. There is a love holding all. We rest in this love.”

p. 22 Section C-2.4 Inclusion

"Systems of power, privilege, and oppression have traditionally created barriers for persons and groups with particular identities, ages, abilities, histories, and ADD religious convictions. We pledge to replace such barriers with ever-widening circles of solidarity and mutual respect. ADD: Now is the season for fostering a multi-faith world of empathy, acceptance, and accountability.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

I have been a UU minister since 1970 and served on the Commission on Appraisal from 2003-2009 wherein we undertook a comparable Article II revision process

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I am sharing my perspective with both UU laity and religious professionals, and their responses have been uniformly supportive